Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced opening weekend sales of the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c topped a record-breaking nine million units since the launch of both phones this past Friday.

iphone_5s_5c.jpg
"This is our best iPhone launch yet-more than nine million new iPhones sold-a new record for first weekend sales," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "The demand for the new iPhones has been incredible, and while we've sold out of our initial supply of iPhone 5s, stores continue to receive new iPhone shipments regularly. We appreciate everyone's patience and are working hard to build enough new iPhones for everyone."
Additionally, the company claims more than 200 million iOS devices are now running iOS 7, making it the fastest software upgrade in history. Apple also says that demand for the iPhone 5s has exceeded the initial supply, with many online orders scheduled to be fufilled within the coming weeks.

Apple also announced that its new iTunes Radio service has already seen over 11 million unique listeners, with the most popular track so far being "Hold On, We're Going Home" by Drake.

The nine million iPhone units sold over the launch weekend nearly doubles the "over five million" units of the iPhone 5 sold in its opening weekend last year.

Article Link: iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c Sales Top Nine Million in Launch Weekend

pgillett72

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
and in other news this weekend, BlackBerry failed miserably in launching an app.

Sad to see them fall.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
New record for weekend sales? I wonder if this record would hold if we were able to pre-order the 5S. Surely that would bring opening weekend numbers down, no?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
"nearly doubles". You have to take into account China.

5+2 million vs. 9 million

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
We now know why Apple didn't release their sales figures earlier:

They needed time to add it all up.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not surprising. And no - we won't see a breakdown anytime soon.

In other news - while a minor point.. "The nine million iPhone units sold over the launch weekend nearly doubles the "over five million" units of the iPhone 5 sold in its opening weekend last year. "

No - it doesn't nearly double in my opinion. OVER 5 is more than 5. And even if 5 even, then doubling it would leave 10%. For me - and the fact we're talking at least 1M - that's a significant difference. But I am probably splitting hairs with the editorial comment :)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I wonder how many of them were iPhone 5S's, and how many were 5C's? Either way, that's an impressive number! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.