Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JP-F

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and a 27 inches Thunderbolt display that I use as single display when I'm at home.
Since I upgraded to Maverick, the external monitor doesn't wake up from sleep. I tried opening and closing my MacBook to make it switch displays, but it doesn't work. Of course, trying to type (I have a wireless Apple keyboard) doesn't work either. I have to unplug the monitor and plug it in again in order for it to work again.
Anyone knows what else I could do ?

yupp

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
I have exactly the same configuration (MacBook Pro 2011, Thunderboldt 27', Apple wireless keyboard) and exactly the same problem: MBPro does not wake up from sleep.

After opening the MBPro I have to unplug the Thunderboldt-wire and then to plug in it again - its the only way that it works.

Seems to be a bug of Mavericks :(
Hope Apple will respond immediately ...

tbaer

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Interesting. I have a MBA 2013 connected to a Thunderbolt display and don't have this issue. Actually the wake-up speed has improved over the previous OS version. So maybe this is a device specific issue?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
2011 MacBook Pro here, Thunderbolt display is working fine.

Have you tried all the usual stuff recommended (restart, SMC & PRAM reset etc?)

Caosao

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
I have the same problem with MacBook Pro 2012 (MD102), Thunderbolt 27' and external WD My Book Studio firewire drive. It just doesn't wake up.
After I unplug the cable and plug again it wakes and I have a message "Eject drive before disconnecting or turning it off". It seems like Maverick tries to eject external drive before go to sleep. I never had that before :(

JP-F

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
It worked too :)

Resetting the SMC solved my problem.
Thank you so much ! :)

yupp

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
I was wrong !

I had thought that my problem is solved. But I was wrong1 Two or three times wakes TB as planned, then it is over and I have to unplug the TB cable and re-plug.

In the "Apple Support Communities" I read that this error with TB seems to exist for years (it means, that this is NOT a bug of Mavericks!), but Apple not yet found a solution until today.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3356740?start=90&tstart=0

Very annoying!
YUPP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.