Thunderbolt display won't wake up

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by JP-F, Oct 24, 2013.

1. JP-F macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and a 27 inches Thunderbolt display that I use as single display when I'm at home.
    Since I upgraded to Maverick, the external monitor doesn't wake up from sleep. I tried opening and closing my MacBook to make it switch displays, but it doesn't work. Of course, trying to type (I have a wireless Apple keyboard) doesn't work either. I have to unplug the monitor and plug it in again in order for it to work again.
    Anyone knows what else I could do ?

2. yupp macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same configuration (MacBook Pro 2011, Thunderboldt 27', Apple wireless keyboard) and exactly the same problem: MBPro does not wake up from sleep.

After opening the MBPro I have to unplug the Thunderboldt-wire and then to plug in it again - its the only way that it works.

Seems to be a bug of Mavericks :(
    Hope Apple will respond immediately ...

3. tbaer macrumors member

Interesting. I have a MBA 2013 connected to a Thunderbolt display and don't have this issue. Actually the wake-up speed has improved over the previous OS version. So maybe this is a device specific issue?

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

2011 MacBook Pro here, Thunderbolt display is working fine.

Have you tried all the usual stuff recommended (restart, SMC & PRAM reset etc?)

5. Caosao macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with MacBook Pro 2012 (MD102), Thunderbolt 27' and external WD My Book Studio firewire drive. It just doesn't wake up.
    After I unplug the cable and plug again it wakes and I have a message "Eject drive before disconnecting or turning it off". It seems like Maverick tries to eject external drive before go to sleep. I never had that before :(

6. yupp macrumors newbie

7. JP-F thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked too :)

Resetting the SMC solved my problem.
    Thank you so much ! :)

8. Caosao macrumors newbie

@ cambookpro:
    Thank you! Looks like it solved the problem.

9. yupp macrumors newbie

I was wrong !

I had thought that my problem is solved. But I was wrong1 Two or three times wakes TB as planned, then it is over and I have to unplug the TB cable and re-plug.

In the "Apple Support Communities" I read that this error with TB seems to exist for years (it means, that this is NOT a bug of Mavericks!), but Apple not yet found a solution until today.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3356740?start=90&tstart=0

Very annoying!
    YUPP