168 killed in Iran plane crash

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by arkitect, Jul 15, 2009.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Always so sad.
    This time not an Airbus but a Tupolev.

I wonder if quality of aircraft maintenance is suffering because of the recession?

Link.

2. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I doubt it has anything to do with the recession. Some carriers in the less developed parts of the world are extremely dodgy with safety and maintenance issues, plus they tend to fly older planes. US economic sanctions against Iran probably don't help here...

3. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

All that money they Iran is spending trying to build nuclear "power plants" and the US is blamed for a misallocation of government resource and thus, their deaths?

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't think it's economic sanctions considering this was a Russian aircraft, it may be different if it was a Boeing and the sanctions were stopping them from getting the latest parts.

But you couldn't pay me enough to fly on a Tupolev or an Iran-based airline. I just wouldn't trust either of them to have their maintenance up to par.

5. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Rest in peace to all victims of this devastating tragedy, and my deep condolences go out to their families.:(

6. remmy macrumors 6502a

Blamed is a misreading of their post. The US embaargos mean that Iran cant buy replacement parts or adequately repair the ageing Boeing aircraft. Of course they should better check the aircraft before flights, but I bet these planes ought to of been scrapped a while ago.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

That may well be true, but a Boeing isn't what crashed here.