1680 by 1050 Antiglare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by serenesam, Jan 16, 2011.

1. serenesam macrumors member

serenesam

Hi everyone,

Is it worth it to get the higher resolution 1680 by 1050 antiglare over the 1440 glossy?

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Welcome to the forums.

May I suggest trying out the search function? This question has been asked and debated over and over! You can find a lot of great information and opinions using the search function.

Attached Files:

3. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Next time i go to get a MBP its going to be a 15" with the hi-res glossy screen, as much as I hate the reflexion on the screen, i absolutely love the picture quality of the glossy.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Me too. The reflective nature of the glossy doesn't bother as much as it does some people. I love the screen on my 13". When I eventually step up to a 15" I think I'm going to go with th stock screen.

So is it worth it, as you ask?

To me, no. The money is better spent to bump up the CPU or just to keep in my pocket.

For you, it might be worth it.

5. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

and what about the res difference between the stock one and the hi-ref?

does that makes a huge difference?

6. Shakko macrumors member

BIG difference in resolution I'd say. You get about 40% more screen realestate!!

I just got my 15in MBP in August.. but I couldn't pick up the high res one :(. Next MBP will definitely be high res!

7. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

What will you be using it for?

If your answer is graphics work, then I would go for the antiglare straight away. The glossy version gives a wrong impression of what you're looking at. At least until the day where we wont be using paper for presentations and advertisements.

8. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

The thing is that I can get the standard 15" i7 MBP for $2015 thru MacMall, but If i change it to the Hi res anti glare it goes to $2344.

I should be using the MBP most of the time connected to my HDTV, running 1920x1080p. Only when in out of home i'll be using the MBP display.

I dont think the difference is worth the price for me, am i wrong?

9. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Love my hi-res glossy :D

Glare doesn't bother me like some people.

Picture quality is breathtaking!

10. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I returned by HR 15" Anti-glare right away. Just couldn't get used to it, and hated how it looked compared to the glossy.

So my advise: try it out first in a store or if possible at a friends in various lights, before buying either.

11. DanFreemanPhoto macrumors member

I got the high res anti glare. Awesome display.

But try them both out first.

Personally I can't see why anyone would get the glossy, my sister has a glossy MBP and it's awful trying to see the display!

If you work in a dark room then go glossy ;)

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I've got the HR AG too but the choice will depend on your usage. I use mine for work so have to stare at the screen for many hours a day so the AG is perfect for me. The bezel that alot of people go on about doesn't bother me as my eyes are normally focused on the display itself. Cosmetics is a lower priority to me than practical functionality.

13. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

What would you guys do? i'll probably use the MBP display on 30% of the time.

Also, i'll be using it in a "mixed type of room", sometime dark, sometime not.

14. peapody, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I had a 15.4" macbook pro with a glossy screen - and I hated it. So much so that I actually looked into getting antiglare screen protectors that made it look worse. When the HR AG came out I was all over that, and could not be happier. The screen is bright, but not blindingly so like the glossy's...but of course everyone's experience is different. LOVE my HR AG for photoediting.

I thought this macbook pro would be a desktop machine primarily - but to my surprise it has become a road warrior. I'd get the best screen possible because this is one purchase you will be making that you will be living with for a while.

15. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

hum.. might be of great difference if you use it for a long time outdoors...

also, i can't find the grey frame as beautiful as the black one..

16. Fynd macrumors 6502

I somewhat blind-bought a 15" i5 HR AG from the refurb store. Half rare to see something like that there and it was 1600 CDN, i jumped on it without thinking twice. I say somewhat because I've had plenty experience with the 13" glossy.

I wouldn't go back ever again. It looks incredible, and the lack of constant reflections is so much easier on the eyes. The resolution jump is a huge deal as well. Trust me, it's in your best interest to go this route.

The *only* reason not to, imo, would be for the design. I personally prefer the black frame on the glossy model. But not at the price of constantly seeing myself and any lighting AT ALL.

17. The-Pro macrumors 65816

having a glossy screen increases the contrast of the screen. Thus printing out images will have considerably different colours than the ones you see on your screen. So if you work with photo editing of some sort then the antiglare should be your way to go, so much less hassle to get the colours to be the same (screen-print).

Im a student, i got myself the hi-res antiglare back in april when it was released. I dont regret it at all. All my friends who have the previous gen. MBP are totally jealous, of both the higher resolution and the antiglare. My school only uses apples, so every teacher has a 13" macbook pro, even they say that the glossy screen p***es them off :D The director got himself a antiglare when he saw mine :p

I was at a study course, after lessons i was outside all the time with my MBP, it was really sunny, and even then i had my brightness set to 50% and saw everything perfectly, my friends were at 100% and reflections still annoying.
    I prefer the Hi-Res antiglare over the glossy my far.

When buying my MBP i thought of it like this. Ill get a MBP that fits my needs, but ill choose all those options which i cant upgrade myself in a year or two. So i went with the i7, Hi-Res antiglare, left the rest at stock. That way soon i can upgrade the RAM to 8 gigs and fit a SSD. All cheaper now already. As i do 3D work on the side the Hi-Res gets another plus point there, so much nicer if u can work with more pixels.

Looks wise: Sometimes i lean to how the glossy screen looks but then the antiglare resembles the last Gen (non unibody) MBP. Which i liked more anyway :D

MY TIP, get the antiglare, its worth it

18. serenesam thread starter macrumors member

serenesam

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses. I decided to go ahead and order the High Resolution Anti-glare - it's the 2.66ghz intel core 7. Shipment was quick and I am stunned by the quality of the screen. I was afraid it was going to look too dark because I hear people complaining about not being able to see the many tints and shades of black but I don't know, I can see them clearly. Looks like a theatrical screen and more realistic. I know someone with a glossy and it just looks fake to me like that is not how I would see a real person in life. Thanks again.

19. serenesam thread starter macrumors member

serenesam

I'm just curious. Is there a difference between the Sony Vaio Premium Display at 1920 by 1080 or a Macbook Pro High Resolution Anti-glare Display at 1680 by 1050? Is the Sony one Anti-glare?

20. Politis macrumors regular

Hi-Res means quite smaller letter by default and if you enlarge them they kinda not look right! Effing Mac simply failed to do Antiglare with the lower resolution. Or have Hi-Res but include a gizmo that keeps the letter a readable size.
    But that's just me and a few thousand like me. By the end of the day, its' up to you.

21. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Nice. I like the hi-res screen anti-glare or not. I personally think the glossy one looks better but it's not what I think you like yours and that's a win. Hi-res 4eva. :apple:

Too bad I have non hi-res screen.

22. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I cant wait for the new MBP's to come out :( I'll be ordering a 15" with hi res Glossy screen. Will be SOOO nice!

23. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

wait, do you really have a white iphone 4? did they actually ship those?

24. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

He probably modded it with those conversion kits. $$$.

25. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

They never shipped them, i got a kit and made mine white :D if you want to see it msg me and ill send you pics. Also, if you're curious i used iFixDirect before they started screwing up... like 4 months ago :p