Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I recently set up an iCloud email, and I set it up with the mavericks OS mail app.

I right clicked on a message that was in my inbox and i went to move to --> inbox --> iCloud and then the message vanished.

I can't find it in any folders, can't find it in search, can't find it in the web client, what happened to it??

any help is appreciated...thanks

Last edited:

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
just tried rebuilding my mailbox and that did not bring the emails back. Seems like this is a pretty big bug, surprised that this hasn't been addressed yet..

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
interesting, 250 reads and not a single comment, this is a major bug that should be on the front of macrumors right now.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have not run in to a bug like this.

To be clear... you tried to move it from the inbox of what mail account to what folder(on what account)? Inbox->iCloud sounds like you tried to move it from the inbox to the inbox.

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I have not run in to a bug like this.

To be clear... you tried to move it from the inbox of what mail account to what folder(on what account)? Inbox->iCloud sounds like you tried to move it from the inbox to the inbox.

yes, if you attempt to move an email from the folder its in into the same exact folder the email completely vanishes.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
yes, if you attempt to move an email from the folder its in into the same exact folder the email completely vanishes.
Why did you even try to move the mail to the same box it was in? And is it an iCloud bug or a Mail.app bug or some other mail program? What version of OS X?

Last edited:

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
it was obviously a mistake haha.

mavericks. native mail app.

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Why did you even try to move the mail to the same box it was in? And is it an iCloud bug or a Mail.app bug or some other mail program? What version of OS X?

that being said though, i don't think a mistake of moving mail into the same folder its already in should cause the mail to be permanently deleted/vanish into cyber space never to be seen again

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Have you tried the vacuum trick on Mail's Envelope database? This is similar to rebuilding the database, but doesn't delete anything - instead, it cleans out stale entries that accumulate in there. If I remember correctly, you need to use the Terminal for this, point the sqlite command at the offending database, then type "vacuum" (without the "quotes") at the sqlite> prompt.

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
10.9.0 or 10.9.1?

I agree, but is it an iCloud issue or a Maill.app issue.

10.9.1 -- i think its an iCloud issue because the emails are also gone on the web side.

Have you tried the vacuum trick on Mail's Envelope database? This is similar to rebuilding the database, but doesn't delete anything - instead, it cleans out stale entries that accumulate in there. If I remember correctly, you need to use the Terminal for this, point the sqlite command at the offending database, then type "vacuum" (without the "quotes") at the sqlite> prompt.

i haven't tried this yet, will report back, thanks

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008

I can confirm the behavior - I've lost a couple of emails this way. Do I think it is front-page headline news, no.

A.

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I can confirm the behavior - I've lost a couple of emails this way. Do I think it is front-page headline news, no.

A.

just the fact that someone could potentially lose all of their emails trying to move folder to folder and accidentally clicking the same folder should make this front page news....i can't believe this glitch even exists...

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Just to throw it out there, as it was mentioned in a separate thread of mine: I saw this same behavior while moving messages within Mail 7.1 / OS X 10.9.1 while working with a Gmail account, not iCloud mail. Not consistently, but I definitely had a few messages vanish on me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.