$1699 vs $1999 Macbook pro what one to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Airforcekid, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:I decided against a MacBook Air iMac Duo. Im sure this laptop will be great for my needs however is it worth the $300? I am upgrading the hard drive from 250GB to 320GB 7200RPM. Is the GT graphics worth it?

This will be my main machine along with my iMac G3 thats only good for internet and light photo/music. The hardest thing it will do is burn dvds and maybe light games and some light video editing.

Also I haven't paid attention to the pro line any hinge screen issues etc? Has anyone really got 8hrs of battery life that was a big role in my decision.:apple:

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

3. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

I got the 2.66 GHz Macbook Pro for $1850 with the education discount and have not looked back. I was also thinking about getting the air but this is pretty much my main and only computer and i think that i made the right choice.
    What are your other concerns...

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Another vote for the refurbished hardware. The 9600M GT is so worth it.

5. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I strongly encourage those needing portability to get a laptop powerful enough to handle all their needs. One computer is, IMHO, better than two.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...until your one machine breaks and you have some work to do... its really not hard to keep computers up to date with USB flash drives...

7. MacLover4491 macrumors member

8. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

Yes, because the REAL deciding factor on what computer a person should buy should be based on the profit margins they're going to give to apple!

9. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Why did you pick your user name? A "MacLover" that hates apple...hmmm.

To the OP, the upgrade to the 7200RPM drive is a smart choice. I personally have the 2.66GHz MBP and it seems to be perfect for everything that I do which includes some more intensive applications than just easy internet browsing. As for graphics, worry about it if you do gaming or hard core movie editing otherwise I don't think it matters that much.

10. TopGear300 macrumors regular

TopGear300

Same Issue

Hello!

I went through the same problem not to long ago, and made several posts to try and help my decision and all, but I will share my train of though to help.

I went with the 2.8 MacBook Pro but was really torn. I do recommend getting the better model because its always nicer to have more horsepower and that will lead to a higher resale at the end of the day. But with that being said, I think the base model would suit you fine. I rarely boot up my 9600 because my priority for now is better battery life and you need to log out and back in to switch between cards. Sounds to me like your biggest concern should be memory and 4gb across the board dosent help make your decision any easier haha :D. I can tell you the battery life is quite impressive but I have not got 8 hours out of it. You will definitely NOT get that much on the 9600 so keep in mind that the 9400 which they all have is what you will be using most of the time.

BEST OF LUCK, you will love it :apple:

11. MacLover4491 macrumors member

i can love mac but still can hate apple too. i have a rev b mba, iphone, ipod shuffle 2nd gen. All was purchased at half price.

12. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Better yet, use Dropbox.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...how will that help if you have no computer to access it (or were you talking about keeping multi machines up to date)?

14. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Following that logic, if the OP needs portability, they should buy two laptops. If they have one desktop and one laptop, and the laptop takes a dump, they are equally screwed...being left with no mobile option.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

+3.

16. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Yes, I was talking about using Dropbox to keep your documents on multiple computers in sync. Works like a charm!

17. Banbeerd macrumors newbie

When Snow Leopard hits, you'll be a lot happier that you got the more powerful graphics card, even if you never touch 3D. With OpenCL, who knows what kind of improvements we'll see in terms of GPU-based processing.

18. opera57 macrumors 6502

I would edge towards the one with the dedicated GPU.. most likely the cheaper refurb. It will make a world of difference when gaming and when snow leopard is released. [​IMG]

19. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I will probley buy the $2,299 model. Im changing the hard drive down to 320GB at 7200RPM but buying iWork so no big change in price.:apple:

20. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Dropbox is definitely nice.

21. suburbia macrumors 6502

I agree. I never can understand the blind devotion some seem to have for Apple-- or anything for that matter, but especially to a company. Apple has been a trailblazer in technology and design, but they've also been arrogant and product quality has been less than what I've come to expect from Apple lately.

Overall, I am impressed with Apple, but will call them out for their flaws.

22. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

23. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

25. goldenaustin macrumors member

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP. I'm decided on a 15" MBP, but didn't consider a refurb until recent posts about them, like the one you mentioned. However, I'm wondering, wouldn't it be better to get a brand new 2.66 MBP with iPod touch and printer, and sell off the two items to offset the cost on the MBP? In the end, it may cost a little more than the refurbs mentioned here, but it's brand new and slightly better specs, with the longer battery. Obviously, you have to cough up more money up front, and wait for money back, and also worry about selling off the two items, but if we're talking final costs, would it still make sense to go refurb? I feel like I'm missing something "magical" about the refurbs.