16G, 32G or 64G - iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HelixOmnimedia, Feb 26, 2011.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Obviously I'm waiting until next week... but I want to know from current iPad users/owners what GB version do you have, and have you found that you have enough space for the things you need on it?

I have a 32GB iPhone and it is just enough, I think the 16GB would have been right on the verge of my space limit. I have a lot of music, photos, but what will take up more space will be the TV Shows and movies I have.

Oh and it'll be the 3G/Wifi model I'll be getting, can't bare the thought of not being able to 'get connect' when out and about.

2. fox2319 macrumors newbie

I have a 64GB one at work which barely shows any usage. It was bought to evaluate the utility of the device for our company but there's a lack of funding to follow through. Still seems a tad big unless it's loaded up with movies.

Saying that, my phone is 32GB and is almost always running near capacity so I can't see myself settling for anything less.

3. deeddawg, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

Really depends on your usage. Other than your music library, the big space hogs are videos and movies, then perhaps a navigation app. I have maybe a dozen tv shows on my ipad converted over from my Tivo, plus music and apps (including a nav app) and 32GB is plenty big. 16GB would be too small. 64 wouldn't gain me anything but a thinner wallet.

YMMV

Edit to add: Two other thoughts:

Consider whether you're one who wants to carry around EVERYTHING, or just what you need. I know there are folks with large video collections and some prefer to have everything with them all the time, vs. setting things up to just sync unwatched stuff. Point being, the capacity you need truly depends on your particular preferences and needs.

The other thing is I believe Apple in-store purchases still have a no-restocking fee return/exchange policy. Not sure about online. So if you're on the cusp of one capacity vs another, try to buy in-store and then if you find it's not a good fit you have the option of exchanging with little impact other than schlepping to the store again.

4. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I have the ipad 32 gb 3G version and it's perfect. Have All my Music on my iPhone 4 32gb - and only have 8-10 movies at a time on my iPad so 32 gb is plenty for my needs :)

----
    Vh/Regards
    Claus [iPhone

5. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

i'm hoping for a 128gb version myself, I have 108gb of music and plan on putting a good amount of TV Shows and Movies, as well as apps and stuff. I don't NEED to have all my music and files with me, but its nice to be able to have the option.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I bought a 32GB iPad and before getting it actually wished I'd gone for the 64GB model.
    In reality after a year I've only half filled it.

The reason is, I've got almost no video or music on the device. Just 1 movie a few short video clips and about 2 albums, also a few pod casts.

I think there is a problem. And I don't think I'm alone here, it's a All or Nothing mentality.

I have an Audio collection, but I don't know what I would like to listen to, so I'd like ideally it all on the device. Unfortunately my MP3 music collection is just over 64GB on it's own.

Let alone any Apps, Movies, Books, Podcasts etc.

So, at the moment I would have to just select some things to put on my iPad, but I'd have the same issue if I had a 64GB model as opposed to my 32GB model.

If say the iPad had 1TB storage then I could hold everything and I'd be happy.

Saying that, 256GB would allow me to have all my data and a nice selection of movies.

128GB would be liveable with.

My ideal solution actually is in Apple hands.
    What I want them to do is to build in remote, home NAS accesability into app apps, actually deep into the OS itself. So in reality I don't need to store any Music, Movies, Books, Podcasts, Videos on the device itself. Just Apps and some small local storage.

Everything else is stored on my Home NAS device.
    At home I get it super fast over WiFi and when out and about I get it via Wifi over the internet.

That's my Ideal senario.

7. jordey85 macrumors newbie

32 is just enough for me but if I had the money I would rather buy a 64 :D A little extra room never hurts

8. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

I think a good rule of thumb is - you should always buy the highest amount you can afford.

9. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I bought the 32gb the first time around and that has been WAY more than enough room. I did just 1 playlist and a couple movies. The main reason I bought the iPad was as an E-reader. With an iPod for music I saw no reason to have all my music in two places. A couple movies at a time is sufficient, considering I have a lot of those on my 15 inch mbp, which is better for movie watching anyway.

I don't see the iPad as a "hold all my crap" device anyway, but that's just me.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I can see apple discontinuing the 16 gb version, keeping only 32 and 64 to keep things simple this time around. We'll see how things pan out next Wednesday though.

I feel like 16 gb is too small for average users.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

How about making them all 16GB to keep cost right down, and to make production lines and stock holding easy, and save a lot of money.

Then having a small metal door on the back to fit Apple 32, 64, 128, 256GB Memory modules.

Then the iPad will be at the lowest possible price for sale.

Apple can keep production lines, inventory, and store stocks all simple.

Users can buy larger modules at a later date.

Apple potentially makes more money as people who may have gone 16GB only will in time buy the upgrade.

As long as the door in the rear is neat then it's win win for everyone.

Of course this won't happen :)

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

13. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I have a 32 GB iPad, and I have only used 10 GB of it. I'll probably be getting the 16 GB iPad 2. :)

14. gatearray macrumors 65816

Hmmm... I can't agree with this sentiment, as it seems to me that 16gb is perfect for "average" users.

If you spend a lot of time on Macrumors, though, your idea of what an average user is will be a bit skewed. The 16gb version ain't goin' nowhere any time soon. :)

15. gatearray macrumors 65816

Hilarious.

But why stop there, how about a removable battery, too? Maybe the new iPad could even run Hokeycomb instead of iOS and then you'd really be happy! :)

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Why do you find this funny?

Do you not think it would be good all round?

Apple needs only 1 production line, shops need stock only 1 model.
    iPad price will always be shown in the media as the lowest.

Anyone at anytime may purchase an upgrade module from an Apple store, or Apple online and increase the memory.

Why is that crazy?

17. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Because it makes sense.

18. SethKOne macrumors member

It's not crazy for consumers, it's crazy for Apple's bottom line. And now that they've sold consumers on paying 3x - 4x market value for Flash Storage upgrades, HP, RIM and Motorola have followed suit.

From Apple's perspective, why sell a device below market value and reduce the built-in obsolescence? They want you to buy the 128GB iPad-next next year, and the 512GB iPad-next-next the year after.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I would of thought, long term it would be better for Apple.

It would save costs to make 1 model in all sorts of ways.
    It would mean more sales as you would be able to a lot of the time be the best value model in the stores.

Perhaps in time almost every iPad sold would attract a memory upgrade sale.

Perhaps even the 2nd or even 3rd customer of this same iPad in year 3 or 4 may pay to upgrade the memory.

Apple could potentially sell memory upgrades to every iPad at any time during the items full lifetime.

20. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Can't you do that already with AudioGalaxy and AirVideo? I watch and listen almost everything on my iPod Touch through those two programs and I find them great.

21. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I am curious if the 16 GB will be reserved for the original iPad (with a price drop) and the iPad 2 starts at $499 with 32 GB. I don't know if this is yet feasible (availability of 64 GB chips to allow for 3 sizes, 32->64->128) but it's an interesting thought.

22. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Yeah, I think it's going to look like this:

$399: iPad 1 16 GB
    $499: iPad 2 32 GB
    $599: iPad 2 64 GB
    $699: iPad 2 128 GB

And $130 for 3G + GPS.
    Is logical, just like what they did with the 3G and 3GS, 3GS and 4 :)

I've got a 32 GB + 3G model. For me it's enough. Movies or TV shows I have seen I always delete, as I see no point keeping it when I already watched it. For me it's enough, and for most others too. 16 GB is just a bit risky if you ever need more than you expected.

23. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I suppose 32->48->64 is also possible, but I don't think that a $100 price difference between each version would be appropriate at that level.

24. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

I think that's a good estimate although I think they may drop the 16GB altogether.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Apple would charge a bomb for the 256GB model

I don't know if they would think they would sell enough to be worth it at the moment.

Again, I'd keep the 16GB to keep the lowest end model as cheap as possible.