16g, 32g, or 64g

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joecatz, Mar 4, 2011.

1. joecatz macrumors member

Wife and I both have Iphones, so we are leaning towards WIFI IPAD (but I'm open to someone convincing me otherwise.

We don't travel for work, but we do like the idea of having accesibility for the kids at restaurants, on vacations, in the car, etc....

The question for us is which size?

I have a 32g Iphone, and have about 50 apps, about 40 tv shows (mainly for the kids) about 4 or 5 full length movies, and I keep about 300 photos, and a couple thousand songs, but I'm usually pushing the limits for storage.

my thoughts on how I'll use the ipad:

More apps
    Same video (maybe a little more)
    Figure I'll keep about 20 books on it (mainly for the kids, and a few novels for the wife and I)
    But I don't see myself storing a lot of music on it, mainly because we have an apple TV at home, the Iphones, and with the home sharing option, I don't see us using it for music like we do the phones.

So here's the question:

1 64g Ipad?
    1 32g Ipad?

or should I buy a 32G and a 16G?

2. joecatz thread starter macrumors member

Maybe the better question is can anyone link something that can show how many apps, books, songs, videos, books, etc.. can be stored with each model?

3. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

the iPad apps tend to take more space than iPhone apps due to the expanded functionality, and you'll probably put more on it than you think, so I would go 32. 16 would fill up quick considering you'll start with about 15 or 14.5 after formatting and the iOS software. Also WiFi only would be a good go since you can tether if need be (and don't pay AT&T for it, it's worth a Jailbreak to get that functionality for a one time fee for MyWi).

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It will vary depending upon the user. I have the 32 GB and I've only filled about 20 GB before. Frankly, I think I'd do ok with the 16 GB if I had to. For me, the iPad has become a streaming media device, an ebook reader and of course the apps. 32 GB is a good middle ground if you're worried, 16GB seems to be a popular choice and one that suits many, even the so-called data hoarders who thought they could not live with 16 GB.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Initially I bought a 16GB b/c I figured eBooks are tiny, Apps not much bigger, had no plans to put on more than a couple movies and zero music b/c it's already on my iPhone and doesn't use much battery.

But I later switched to a 32GB 3G. Apps, like regular s/w, continue to get bloated. 1/2 GB apps are more common than not now. And with the faster processes expect even more elaborate graphics in apps.

I'll be getting another 32GB. It's the right size for me. I could find stuff to fill up a 64GB but it would be wasted bloat. It's not about bragging rights for me.

6. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

For your intended use, I would stick with a 32 GB. I would also consider the 3G model. I know $130 more is a lot but it's nice to know you do not need another electronic to give it internet access.

I assume you were thinking of using your iPhones to give the iPad 3G internet with the wifi hotspot option in iOS 4.3. I read it gives you about 8 hours of internet sharing off a fully charged iPhone. That definitely is not bad but I just wouldn't be comfortable personally losing that much of my charge. My phone is my safety net, I don't want it dead.

Here's a screen cap for what I have on my iPad 32GB. I have about 20 books in Kindle/iBooks as well. I never run out of room. I think you would do well with the 32 GB. May be fine with a 16 GB even, it's just nice to have some wiggle room.

Attached Files:

7. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Assuming that you would want to store what's on your iPhone on the iPad, I don't think that you should go less than 32 I'd suggest 64.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

There's no absolute number for those. With iPods you could ballpark how many songs/movies but here you're sharing space with apps which can range from miniscule (few MBs) to substantial (>1GB) (as well as photos/books).

If your intended use is as a homebound browsing/reading/emailing device then 16GB may well be sufficient. If you plan on taking it with you on a 1-2 week vacation then 64GB may be best.

On my 32GB iPad (29GB of effective capacity) I have 11.5GB of Apps (includes downloads of some magazines), 5.7GB of Photos, 4GB of audio and 4GB of video in addition to books and work files (.doc and .pdf), so I'm always nearly full.

If you still want some basis for estimates a typical song file is around 3MB and a typical movie at reasonable compression is about 1-1.5GB.

9. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I currently use my 64GB iPod Touch as my main mobile media device, and I've already gone over 32GB with 1700 songs, 26 videos (including 9 full length movies), 900 photos, and 100 apps. I would go with the 32GB normally, but since I plan on getting an iPhone this summer, the iPad is going to become my main mobile media device, meaning I expect to need over 32. So I'll be going with 64.

It sounds to me that if you want to move everything over to your iPad, you might wanna go with 64 since that'll give you extra space for the future so you never had to get rid of stuff.

10. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I got a 16 the first time around and just like on my 16 GB iPhone I find myself running out of room. I will be going with a 32 on this generation and probably a 64 on the next.

More that a few movies really chews up space on the iPad with only 16 GB. Adding in about 50 apps some TV shows and just a little music.

11. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

I'll be stepping down from a 64GB 3G to a 32GB Wi-Fi. I use it almost exclusively as a streaming device, and have only used 4.1GB (almost 2GB of which is from two games, Riven and Myst). I use Plex to stream all my movies, tv. I'm actually tempted to get a 16GB, but if games start to utilize the capabilities of the new device, they'll likely get quite a bit larger in file size.

12. melman101 macrumors 68030

I have the 64GB Wifi iPad right now. I have it filled pretty much. However, I never used the content on here. Now, I'm thinking about getting a 3G model but don't want to drop $1000 bucks.... So I'm thinking im going to grab the 32GB 3G but I'm worried that iMovie might need more space. I'm between a rock and a hard place.

13. perplex macrumors regular

i was thinking about getting the 64 gigger

but thinking some more, i might just get 32.

I mean seriously, i COULD put my entire library of video and music on it, but how much would i really listen to after all. And after i watch one movie over and over, i dont have an incentive to watch it again. And plus the fact that im always near my computer when im home, so i can just throw some stuff on or off of it when i need to.

So hmmm i think i will go with 32 instead of 64

14. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

That's how I felt. I had the cash for a 64 GB but just really didn't see the need based on my use. I don't need 10 movies on my iPad, I will only watch them a few times before I will want it off the device.

15. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I'm a little paranoid and I dont know why :rolleyes:

16. Zcott macrumors 68020

17. epi117 macrumors 6502

Just sold my 3g ipad 1, i'm going to go with 64 gig ipad 2, i figure i can share my wifi for those rare times i am not within WiFi at home or work. and i like the extra space for those new apps that are coming out.

In the last year i have used 2 months of 3G service.

18. joecatz thread starter macrumors member

Can you explain this a little for me? How hard is it, and what app do you need, etc?

19. joecatz thread starter macrumors member

Ok, good info. Thanks everyone!

I think now I'm kind of debating the following:

32G 3g vs. 64G wifi only.

Discuss!

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I posted this in another thread, its for the lower capacities, but the idea is the same.

My plan is to jailbreak my iPad which, in addition to the other uses, will allow me to read a USB stick from the connection kit. I can get larger storage for far less money** than buying a bigger iPad. Somethign to stick Invader Zim and IT Crowd on ya know. This will be my first iPad and if this method turns out to be a PITA, I'll sell and upgrade to what ends up making sense for me. I consider it an acceptable loss to truly define my usage needs.

I plan on going the VZW route because their network is more robust where I am. When traveling I'll drop a foreign SIM in my unlocked ATT iPhone and just tether that out. This way I have the best of both networks.

The 16GB 3G iPad, a 160GB iPod, and my old 3GS may end up as the perfect solution for me.

**$40 for a 32GB stick.

21. ShredderClay macrumors newbie

I have a 32 gig iPhone 4. I keep all my music on there. Tons of apps. Way more than I need, it is almost full. My iPad less than full and its also a 32 gig. I found that I don't use as much room on there, then again most of what fills up my iphone are pictures and music. I think I would be safe with 16. If you aren't going to load it down with music, pictures or videos, 16 should be plenty.