16G RAM vs 32G?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PicnicTutorials, Feb 21, 2014.

1. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I have a imac with particulars in my sig. I currently have 16G of ram. I never get close to running out. The most demanding apps I use are photoshop and iMovie. Would I get any speed increase with 16G more of ram? Or just a total waste of money?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not fully using the 16GB of ram now, then upping to 32gb is a waste of money imo

3. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

If you don't use all 16 gigs of it, it would not give you a speed boost.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have 16GB in my iMac and I do a fair amount of video and audio processing among other things and I never run out of RAM. Like the others have said, if you're not using all 16GB now, 32GB is just wasting money.

5. jdblas69 macrumors regular

With RAM prices a bit on the high side right now, it seems like it would be a waste of money.

A year or so ago RAM prices were so much lower throwing in extra RAM was not as much as a price consideration

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

If you have the funds, you might as well throw it in there. You will get a slight bump is Geekbench but overall you may not see much of a difference but it never hurts to have it in there. You never know when it might be needed especially if you have several large applications open.

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I agree with Chris. Get it if you can afford it. I don't think you can ever have too much RAM. It's great to not ever worry about how many apps you've got open.

That said, it's definitely a luxury if you're not even using all of the 16GB you've got currently.

I see that the Crucial 2x8GB RAM for the Late 2013 iMac has dropped to $139 again on Amazon. It had gone up to about $150. I grabbed a set a few weeks ago at $135.