16GB 13" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crypto2k2, Feb 18, 2013.

1. crypto2k2, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

crypto2k2 macrumors newbie

Probably an unfair question but does anyone have a guess as to when we can expect 16 gig's of memory to make it as an option for the 13" rMBP? It really annoys me that this is only an option on the top of the line 15 incher.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

What are you planning on doing with the Macbook?

Maybe never, they tend to save higher specs for the bigger screen machines just so that people get the higher one.

3. crypto2k2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I run vmware fusion. I typically have a VM or two running at the same time. I use Windows while at work during the day but prefer OS X as my primary OS when not at work. In addition to Windows, I typically have Ubuntu or Backtrack loaded. VM's love memory.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

You are definitely a minority user haha...you may need to get a 15in. I honestly don't see them offering it on the 13in. I wished I could get higher specs on the 13 as well. I like the screen size but always found it unfortunate that they save certain things for 15in.

Just how Apple does things I guess.

5. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

get the old MBP, VMs also love disk space so having the possibility of a hard drive also helps.

16GB and 1.5TB on 2 750GB drives here... all good till the 4th VM :D

cheers

6. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I have the 13" rMBP and run a Windows 8 VM for my work stuff all the time. I give it 2 GB RAM and it runs shockingly well. My problem is the disk space. I only have the 128 GB model so I can't fit multiple VMs easily. I have a 64 GB USB 3 stick that I use as swing space, but I should probably just get an external drive with more space.

I can run a second VM with another 2GB of RAM and it works too. Just not so great on the battery life. But I only run two VMs at once while I'm building out a new Windows VM for use.

----------

Also, I'm sure they will have 16 GB in the 13" retina at some point. However, by that time comes, you'll probably want 32 GB. :)

7. crypto2k2 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it's possible to swap out the optical drive on the lastest MBP for a hdd then? I'm thinking I could add a 256GB SSD drive for a primary boot drive and then add a larger 750GB drive as a secondary drive. What kind of ram did you end up using?

8. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

"corsair" ram "made for apple"... was cheap enough.

tought about SSD+HD, but ended up with a MoXT 750 + the original HD, working well.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, it's been possible for years, and people have been doing it on here since 2009 or so...

RAM is RAM, buy the correct specs from a reputable brand and you're good to go.

10. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Probably with Haswell. If they update the display on the MBA I can almost guarantee the 13" rMBP will have a 16GB RAM option while the MBA won't. They need differenciating factors between each model, even if they're sometimes artificial ones.