16GB 1333MHz PC10600 MacBook Pro 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac-hacks, Sep 27, 2011.

1. mac-hacks macrumors regular

Anybody know or use Corsair Memory on Mac? Wondering if it's compatible ? Looks like 2 other company's have 16GB (8x2) 1333MHz avialbe besides OWC over price Kit. Crucial Voltage is 1.35V where OWC & Corsair 1.5V. Curious to know if MBP will work with 1.35V?

- 16.0GB OWC Memory Upgrade 2 x 8.0GB 1333MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM PC10600 204 Pin = $879.99

- CORSAIR 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 Laptop Memory Model CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9 = $449.99

- Crucial 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model CT2KIT102464BF1339 = $749.99

2. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Sorry I want to know why do you need 16GB? I would go for Corsair.

3. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

It's nice to see other vendors with those chips... but still, $900 for 16 gig is more than I can pay right now. I would love to go to 16 too.

To answer the question... for me, as a developer, I run a LOT of stuff at once.. .sometimes two or three virtualized OS's. It'd be nice to have enough memory to allocate to the VM's so they run better.

Rob

4. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Amen, brother. I too am a developer, instructor, and programmer so I can have two or three VMs running alongside, Xcode, Eclipse, PhotoShop, Word, Excel, and Wine.

16GB would be awesome. 8GB is livable. 4GB, I'm not sure how people do it. :)

-P

5. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I can live in 4gb (I do with my 11" MBA) for short periods, but it's just that much nicer at home on my quad-core/8gb Pro, especially with the bigger screen and second monitor.

Rob

6. mac-hacks thread starter macrumors regular

$449.99 I'm willing to pay, 1K basically what it's going to cost after TAX and shipping with OWC is to much They started price at $1600.00, there crazy!!!

To answer why i would want that much, same as other guys. It helps when you multi-task. If you run Vitural or Pro Apps, like FCP, Photoshop, Parallels, & etc... You want as much RAM as you can afford or fit in system. OSX and especially LION has more memory Leaks than any other release i can remember, i bought my 1st Mac with OS9. With Windows 7 you have options and features to control this. OSX you can't really tweak it. OSX adapted Unix file structure "BSD". If your not familiar with UNIX. Having lot of RAM will help overall performance & make system faster.

7. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

I've got 8 in my 2011 right now and even I can see why people would want 16.

8 is a completely different computer compared to 4 but I actually find myself needing more from time to time.

When the price comes down sub 400 I'll bite for sure, along with a SSD....but that's definitely when the price of both doesn't equal a MacBook Air.

8. mac-hacks thread starter macrumors regular

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

10. mac-hacks thread starter macrumors regular

I have 8GB, yes on page outs which are killing my SSD. I have Mac Pro 2009 Quad-Core x 2 with 32GB. Certain apps like carbon cloner for example will use all of my RAM if i let it. It's hard to run any 2 Pro apps or Xcode at same time with out getting spinning wheel or system just locks up and FInder will not refresh and i have to force reboot. I had to start using iMemory cleaner to refresh free memory available to keep page outs from happening when mulri-tasking on either machine.

11. stevemiller macrumors 65816

the sub $500 prices are starting to look appealing. here's to hoping that halves again by next summer. and yes, i currently have 8 but accumulate gb's of page-outs doing motion graphics and 3d work on the machine. this machine already can match or beat the top of the line 2009 mac pros in many rendering tasks, ram for working with large projects is the only thing that tends to hold it back.

12. B.LI macrumors regular

I thought MBPs only support up to 8gb at the moment :confused:

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

16gb, but it's really expensive

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Officially, they support up to 8. Apparently they will run with 16GB. News to me.

Normal users don't need more than 4GB, but when you get into running a lot of VMs or other large data sets, I could see having the extra headroom of 16 being great. I have 8 just because. :)

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I can max out the 4 gigs on mine without doing any VM work; I'm going to 8 because I simply cannot use a VM with 4; only when I'm not doing anything else on SL's side.

And by "without doing any VM work" I mean browser, videos, multiple excel documents, word documents, iCal, Things, Schoolhouse, and some other programs as well.

16. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If you're saying you can max out 4GB with Word, Excel, iCal, video, and a browser, and an academic database app, then you're reading your system's performance and ram utilization incorrectly, or you've got a massive memory leak somewhere. That's a lot of usage for not much load. I could see someone doing huge computational data sets, 3D cad, XCode, FCP, something like that maxing out 4GB if they are well trained to utilize the full functionality of those programs.

17. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Oh noo, no no, when you have 4 excel documents, 3 word documents, firefox and/or chrome with 15 windows, itunes, ical, and I guess I forgot to mention a plethora of background and small productivity applications, I readily max it out.

I mean, I regularly check the Activity Monitor to find RAM eating programs, but they just stack up. I have the RAM, all I need is the screwdriver that I ordered from OWC to install it.

Just because YOU can't think of maxing something out with YOUR usage doesn't mean I have memory leaks or I'm reading data wrong.

18. smali macrumors regular

Damn still way too expensive. Really would like 16gb. I work a lot in After Effects and I can't even make use of all 8 cores since AE is such a memory hog.

I really wish the Macbook Pro had 4 slots like the Lenovo Thinkpads. One of my friends is waiting till the 8gb sticks drop to 100 each and he's maxing his thinkpad to 32GB! Funny thing is After Effects could use all of it still.

19. fancypants31415 macrumors newbie

...an answer to his question?

So in looking through the threads it didn't sound like anyone actually answered "mac-hacks" question did they? Has anyone at this forum added the 16GB of RAM and have any insight to how well it works? What about the 1.5V vs 1.35V rating any thoughts? I too am considering this upgrade and would love to hear back from anyone who has done it.

20. HRodMusic macrumors member

HRodMusic

im a music producer, and i had 4gb of ram at one point and it was hell, i currently now have 8gb, and its something i can live with, 16gb would be amazing to work with.. just dont have the funds to do it..

21. ocbizlaw macrumors newbie

If you are running Lion OS X you pretty much need 8 gb

I don't care what they say, Lion is a massive memory hog and if you don't restart regularly, 4 gb is just going to frustrate you. I recently went from 4 gb to 8 gb in my Macbook Pro i5 and I wish I could go to 16. I didn't buy the new cards from Apple. Apple's 8 gb set is freaking $400. I bought Corsair for $49. It works fine. It maxes at 8 gb. I run Parallels on occasion for a program available only in Windows but even when running regular stuff, the 8 gigs makes a world of difference.

22. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I could use 16gb in photoshop and video editing. just waiting to get my hands on two sticks of 8

23. fancypants31415 macrumors newbie

The Corsair RAM works for me... so far

Well, I just powered up so It'll take me a dew days to really test this RAM but I as so many of the posts seemed unconstructive I thought I'd try to answer mac-hacks question.

Since the timings and voltage between the Corsiar RAM
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233217

and the OWC ram
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/1333DDR3S16P/

are the same I decided to bite the bullet and risk it.

I did a little research first by contacting Corsair and asking if this RAM would work in a 2011 MacBook pro. The response was that they didn't think the 2011 MBP would take 16GB.

I hope that this info helps someone to hear it since it was an expensive upgrade but so far the Corsair RAM worked for me.

Cheers guys!

24. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I went with OWC, everytime I've used Corsair, it goes through customers and they charge.

25. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I and others on this board have tested 8GB sticks of Corsair on the 2010 27" 2.93GHz, 2011 15" MacBook Pro, and 2011 Mac Mini Server. This memory was tested with Rember and Geekbench stress test. I currently use it in 32GB configuration in my 2010 27" iMac and 16GB configuration in my 2011 15" MacBook Pro. I can say editing RAW files without a clean restart is a pleasure.

----------

I'm not sure what your statement means. Yes, OWC has superior customer service, but I've found other brands can be just as reliable such as Corsair or OCZ. However, if you suspect a problem I would suggest OWC. FWIW, I purchased Corsair from Newegg.com.