16gb 1st gen. or 8gb 2nd gen.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hawkeye8531, Jun 11, 2009.

1. hawkeye8531 macrumors newbie

Just got the free iPod touch when I bought my macbook recently. Since I already had a 1st gen 16gb touch, should I give that to my sister, or keep the new 8gb 2nd gen.? and why?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

A few things to consider: do you need 16 GB for your music, pictures, apps? Has your media collection grown to the point where you would feel trapped by only having ~ 8 GB to work with? Do you use the iPod functionality enough where you find it inconvenient without the external volume controls? Technically as far as the space is concerned you probably only have about 6.5 GB to work with due to the iPod OS and the formatted state of the drive. These are only questions you yourself can answer, because what do we know about how much content you need to take with you everywhere?

3. bentvalve macrumors newbie

I have the same question. My first iPod was an 8gb Nano, I love it and am hooked. Ive got most of my CDs on it and am pretty confident I am gonna use all the space on it. 16gb would have been about perfect in that it could take all my CDs and have a nice bit of room for growth.

In any case the Nano is nice but the wi-fi and bigger screen has me looking at a touch ,though what id do with the touch is use it at home most of the time. My home stereo is high end though so id need to get the best quality rips from my CDs and I am not even sure if it is possible to get CD quality? Is it? Furthermore how much more space does the highest quality rips take up? 2x 4x 6x ?

And since the touch is mostly gonna be a toy for me I am in no hurry so if it might be good to wait for a new generation I can.