16gb 3G replacements?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glap1922, Jun 29, 2009.

1. glap1922 macrumors regular

Does anyone know what Apple is doing for people who have a 16GB 3G iphone that is still under applecare and needs to be replaced? Do they still have stock of these units or do they have to replace them with the 3GS?

2. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

You won't get a 3GS they'll replace them with a 3G; likely a refurb.

3. daflake macrumors 6502a

As above, you will not get "upgraded" they will replace it with the same model. I just swapped my 8Gb because of a crack in the plastic and received the same model.

4. glap1922 thread starter macrumors regular

I figured for the 8GB thats what they would do, I just wasn't sure about the 16 because they are no longer selling them, but I didn't think about refurbs. That makes sense as long as they still have refurbs.

5. chox99 macrumors regular

Yup. My friend just exchanged her 16GB w/ refurb. I think they have plenty for now. I heard some stores still 1st gen iphone for warranty exchange.:eek:

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Well they have to. The iPhone 2G could have been bought in May of 08 or even June, and then an Apple care could have been perchased and activated.

7. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Apple keeps replacement units of all products that could possibly be in warranty. I assume they calculate the latest date possible for replacements by going 2 years from the date of the last possible purchase date. They also might keep some around after that for out of warranty service/replacements.