16GB, 64GB, or 128GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Numbers624, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Numbers624 macrumors newbie

I've been waiting for an iPhone model like this to be released and I'm very excited. I've been using my iPhone 4 and have held on through the past releases. I've always used 16GB and have had no issues, so my plan is to go with a 5.5" 16GB.

I am concerned however that my own videos and pictures on this phone may take up way too much space with the quality of them. I read that a 1 minute video on the 5S takes up 126mb of space. That doesn't seem so bad.

So what are you opinions? I'm not a major gamer, I don't watch movies on my phone, and I don't store music on my phone being that I subscribe to a streaming service. What are you all going with and why? Any advice?

2. ronm99 macrumors 6502

If you are planning on keeping this phone for 2 years, and plan on taking a lot of photos, I would suggest the $100 for 64gb. Check how much memory you have left on your 4 ... if it is a lot, maybe you'll be fine with 16gb.

Personally, I store a lot of things on my phone and I'm actually getting 128gb.

3. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

My 64 Meg iPhone 5 is close to full. I'll be getting a 128 6 Plus.

What size you need depends on how much media you create/consume, but the general rule of thumb is to buy as much as you can afford because you WILL find a way to fill it up. A user's space needs expand in direct proportion to the amount of space available.

4. Numbers624 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 6.4 GB available right now, lol :). I do every 4 or 5 months transfer my photos and videos to my computer and external hard drive so I can clean up my phone some. And that space is still with 3 pages full of apps.

----------

What do you store on your phone that takes up so much space? Just curious if the simple fact that the camera is better will make me need that much more space...

Man I wish it was 32 GB!

5. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I carry a bunch of stuff on mine. I have a few movies, a few episodes of TV shows, a bunch of photos (I'm a pro photographer and graphic artist) and a fair amount of music, not to mention several hundred apps. My photo apps folder alone has 66 apps in it.

6. ronm99 macrumors 6502

Some of what I have on my phone is photos and videos. I also sometimes put movies on my phone (which will be so much nicer on the 6+ screen :) I have a ton of ebooks as well.

But probably photos is the biggest for me (I am an amateur photographer), and I hate having to prune the photos out.

7. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i have 788 mb left on my 64 gb phone. i'll be getting the 128. i've always bought the largest phone available. (i wish i had followed that same thought with my iPad mini!)

i'm a horder! although my biggest users are: photos & camera, followed by music, then.... oddly enough... messages

i like to have pictures available at my whim. i have most of the pics on my phone from my very first iPhone (4). i do delete crap pics (i use the phone a LOT when shopping to take pics of prices, etc.... but those get deleted eventually....) anything important stays as i might like to look at it someday.....

ya.... i already told you i was a horder! at least on my phone.... complete opposite with the house!

8. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

I'm the same way. I have about 500 mb left on 64gb....mostly music. I have a large collection and I like to carry around A LOT of music. I just hate being constrained on what I can and can't carry and like having a lot of options.

I think for most "normal" people, the 64 gb is more than enough. I don't get how anyone gets by with the 16gb phone though.

9. darknyt macrumors 6502a

128 GB all the way. Incredibly useful for trips and not having to worry about storage for videos (now slo-mo at 240fps) and pictures (same rez :( ).

Plus now that I can actually display 1080p, now I feel better about slapping on my HD mkv's to actually enjoy full rez.

10. rneglia macrumors 6502

rneglia

I got the 64 because I never watch movies on the phone.

Is that the only reason to get the 128?

11. ajumbaje macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

64 for me. Have had 64gb iPhones since 4s. Never been too close to filling. Never play games(besides words with friends). Music and pictures.