16GB a waste?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Numbers624, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Numbers624 macrumors newbie

So is 16 GB a waste on the iPhone 6? I have an iPhone 4 that I've used for 2 years and still have 6.5GB free. But I clean up my photos and videos often, transfer them to my computer/hard drive when I have a lot of space, and I don't game a ton -- nor do I drop money on any games or purchase add ons. Again, I just don't want to regret a 16GB.

I'm trying to find why having an iPhone 6 will cause me to use so much more space.

Any 16GB'ers out there? Or is it a waste? I plan on keeping it for 2 years.

2. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Why would it be a waste? Was it a waste on your iPhone 4?

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

You might manage, but apps are going to get larger (higher resolution assets), and 240fps video will certainly take a lot of space too. iOS itself is probably larger too. I would spend the extra $100 and get the 64GB

4. cynics macrumors G3

iOS 8 on an iPhone 6 will use up a bit more room then iOS 7 on an iPhone 4. Apps might get a tiny bit bulkier utilizing the larger screen in different ways. You'll also have LTE so you be able to download things faster and thus easier so that might use a little bit more storage if 3G was holding you back.

Aside from that not much else will change. If in doubt just go with the 64gb model and don't look back and rest easy with the peace of mind you'll have plenty of space in the future.

5. justin216, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

I think 16GB is too small -- if only because of how large apps are getting. I have several apps that are at/near 1GB each now, and 2 years from now, some may be double that. That said, it largely depends on the apps you use and your personal use case.

A rule of thumb I've used for family in the past is take your current used space and multiply it by 1.5 (when you're buying a phone and intend to keep it awhile). If it's above 16GB, go to the next higher size, and so on.

6. Numbers624 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a noob question -- but does utilizing more GB's slow your phone down if it can only hold 16GB's? Say I get to 15GB's, will my phone performance suffer?

I want to pull the trigger on 64GB's, but since I have only used a max of 11-12GB's on my iPhone 4 over these past two years, I'm trying to find every reason to not get the 16GB and spend $100 more for the 64GB.

I don't store music since I subscribe to a streaming service, I don't watch movies on the phone, and I get rid of apps I don't use. Sometimes I wonder if many people are simply wasting a ton of space on things they don't use or need on their phones. But the iPhone 6 might offer a different enough experience where I will need that extra space. Tough call for a $100 over here...

7. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i've had to delete apps and move photos and videos to my mac because of my 16GB iPhone 5. I plan on pre-ordering the 64GB silver iPhone 6 this friday. I like taking pictures and videos so quadrupling the memory i currently have will be a huge plus. i was planning on paying the $299 for the 32GB if it was available anyways.

8. dba415 macrumors 6502

times have changed.

yes 16 gb is a waste

9. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

If you're barely using 16 gb, then I don't see the point in getting 64 gb. If you don't mind sometimes managing your space, then stick with it. I feel like 64gb would be a waste if you use less than half of it.

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

a poster comes here and explains how 16gb works just fine and asks if it is a waste.

Posts like this are a waste.

16gb works just find for many people.

11. Numbers624 thread starter macrumors newbie

I only posted this because I've been using a model that is 4 generations removed from the newest model. I wanted to know if there would be any reasons for this new phone causing me to take up that much more space where 16GB would not be enough. It's not a wasted question, but one that allows for me to get a grasp from newer iPhone users and more educated tech people as to why a 16GB might not be a good option in the newest iPhone.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Lots of people do just fine with 16GB. Only you know for sure if it is enough for you. For me, I would spring for the 64GB. For an extra $100 you get 48GB more and don't have to be as careful with moving pictures, videos, etc. off your phone.

13. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

I've managed with 16GB on Android with pictures uploading directly to my dropbox and moving any videos I want to keep to my computer or onto YouTube where I can watch them when I want.

Here's my breakdown - 3.5GB for apps, 1.25GB for music and 2GB of photos over 2 years and still have 4GB left..I don't play (massively large) games, I'm not 11, I have an Xbox One for that. I don't download movies to my phone, I have a Macbook and a Samsung Tab Pro with SD slot for that. I don't keep all my music on my phone, just a couple hundred of my favorites at any one time..that's what Pandora and the other online streaming services are for..

It does take some managing, but I've never had any problems nor has it hindered my use of the phone. If you want to absolutely never worry about filling up that 16GB the 64 is the choice to make especially since they finally cut the upgrade cost in half. But, if you think saving $100 and maybe having to worry about running out of space is more your style, by all means stick with it..lots of people do and will continue to do so with the iPhone 6.

14. steemax macrumors regular

steemax

Apps are seriously growing in size over time as they get more detailed.
    8 Gb used to be more than enough back when we had the 3GS.

Now i've used 20gb on my 32gb 5S and I don't even have a single song on my phone or video..... 64gb is my only option and will be for most of us here.

15. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I have never had a problem with 16gb. I've got 3.6 gb available after almost two years. And I could get another gig if I deleted my photos. They are already uploaded to Dropbox anyway.

Movies are for the MacBook or tv. Music is spotify with a little stored on spotify and the apple music app. Pictures are Dropbox with only the most recent on the phone. I've got 39 apps on my phone and 17 of those are apple apps I don't use and can't delete. Smh

I don't want it to seem like I don't use my phone either. I use it constantly and have all the apps I want and need. 16gb is enough. Think about it this way...if you lose your phone don't you want your stuff in the cloud somewhere for recovery anyway? I know I do so if I have to take them off my phone then it's no big deal. Photos for example....what's the difference in opening the Dropbox app to see a photo vs opening the photos app? Same end result and saves space. My 2 cents. I'll be ordering 16gb iPhone 6 minus tonight. :)

16. lysola macrumors member

If you're diligent with transferring your media to a computer then you should make out just fine with the 16GB 6. You might see a slight increase in file size for pictures and video but I doubt it'll be drastic. I have a 16GB and feel the exact same way as you do.

17. rockitdog macrumors 68020

This is one of the top 2 or 3 most bizarre questions asked on the boards this week, easily. I don't understand the issue or the question. Is the OP upset they didn't come out with a 8GB variant?? :rolleyes:

18. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

plenty of folks (like me) keep their music on separate devices, like iPods. saves the battery of the iPhone, and frankly I'm not listening to music all day anyway. I keep some pictures and some app databases on my phone, but that's it. For many people 16GB is enough.

19. rockitdog macrumors 68020

This is one of the top 2 or 3 most bizzare questions asked on the boards this week, easily. I don't understand the issue or the question. Is the OP upset they didn't come out with a 8GB variant?? :rolleyes:

20. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

There have been a ton of those questions that make you go, "Hmmmmm..." this week. How to scam the system for a cheap upgrade, monkeying with adding/canceling lines, etc. Plus the usual First World problem: "Oh, noes, I can't decide which new iPhone to get!!1!"

21. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

It's not a waste, but like you said it does take a certain amount of effort to keep it below 16GB. For me I have no music on it, I only put on podcast if I know I'm going on my 12 hours drive. I have no games, just like you. I dropbox all my photos so I can delete them when I need to. I have about 4GB left usually.

But I mostly likely will go up to the 64GB, for the extra $100 it's not a bad increase.

22. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Well with the OS you only really have 12Gb or so. With better quality photos and vids and bigger apps, I'm sure a lot of people will find that the "16Gb" model is not enough - after 4 years, it's not enough for me now.

23. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I think this is a very reasonable question and something I'm wondering about also. My current iPhone 5 has 16GB which has been plenty but the larger updated phone may require more space. I'm also wondering about resale and whether the 16GB model will be worth a lot less in 1-2 years.

24. Numbers624 thread starter macrumors newbie

You people are nuts. Get over your self-righteous snobbery trolling and let someone ask a simple question. Who cares? If the thread is such a distraction for you, don't come and waste your time posting. All I asked for was wisdom and advice on if being 4 generations removed as a 16GB user makes any difference and why. If there are tech aspects and legitimate reasons as to why a 16GB might be a bad idea from a jump to a 6 from a 4, then I want to know. Sheesh.