16GB and 3G be damned - when will they update the mail app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anthonymoody, Sep 15, 2007.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I mean come on - between the lack of unified inbox, lack of ability to have different settings (e.g. check interval) for different accounts, and an inability to select more than one message at a time - it's clearly the most half-baked app on the thing.

Think back to the initial reviews - arstechnica's comes to mind - mail was the app that most people harshed on. That and the lack of landscape keyboard outside of safari.

To be honest I think the iphone's biggest improvements will come when mail is turned into as great an app as safari on the phone is.

My $.02.

TM

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

What's with no encrypted mail on the iPhone? Rubbish.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I agree with you, and I suspect that all of your suggestions are trivial changes.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

For me Mail is by far the most important application and of all the applications on the phone it is the weakest. The iPhone will be hands down better then any other smartphone without reservation when they get serious about Mail, Calendar and Contacts. And it can all be done via Software updates. If you follow this forum very much you will see many posts of Blackberry users chomping at the bit to switch to the iPhone once they can compete with RIMM on these Applications.

5. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm one of them ;) I've followed a long quixotic journey from Treos to WM to Blackberry, where I'm satisfied but not happy if that makes sense.

Been a Mac user since 1992 and an Apple user since the mid 80's :) Check my membership - been here a while, and loving it :D

The reason I care so much about mail on the iPhone (in particular, though I agree the Cal and Contacts need a bit of work as well) is precisely because it all works SO WELL on the Blackberry. The OS is stable, well thought out, and well executed. It's also v4.x at this point, and has the benefit of years of development and refinement.

I think Apple did a remarkable job with the iPhone considering it's a 1.0 product. But's it's the so close aspects that make it so frustrating to me. I will buy an iPhone, whether or not is has 3G and/or 16GB, when they do a serious rev to the mail app.

As has been pointed out, it's "only" software - so let's go Apple - get these apps up to the level they deserve!

TM

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Ringtone functionality was clearly more important because it will make Apple more money.

They'll eventually tackle the actual things that matter after they've capitalized on every iPhone.

7. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

one way to look at it is that whatever features/functionality the phone has now is being paid off with present iPhone purchases useage.

As things like wifi store and ringtones bring in more revenue, perhaps it will allow them to offer more updates that improve functionality even if they don't bring in additional revenues.

8. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

You have to be right but that would mean no one at Apple has been watching the RIMM Stock Price doubling and going thru Stock Splits. It is obvious that a lot of people feel that the market for Blackberries is extremely strong.

The only thing I can guess is that Apple and AT&T have a back door agreement not to compete with there Blackberry business. The Blackberry with the $40 per month Data Plan brings in a lot of money for AT&T. If they could get the same thing (plus all of the other iPhone features) for only a $20 per month Data Plan and also AT&T has to pay Apple a share of that then you can see the profit per business account goes down.

Also, as you know you currently can not even buy an iPhone an put on a business account. Again, they want to keep those business customers paying the higher data fees.