16Gb ExpressCard Solid State (Lexar EX16GB-431)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Supp0rtLinux, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Supp0rtLinux macrumors member

Curious if anyone has one of these: Lexar EX16GB-431 in a MacBook Pro (15'')?

Does it fit flush? If it protrudes, how far? I need to travel outside the country and considering the recent laptop confiscation issues, I'm thinking of getting one of these and using it for all my docs, then simply removing it before I return to the US (with my laptop having only the OS and applications, but no data).

2. Supp0rtLinux thread starter macrumors member

Also, any thoughts on how this guy affects battery life on a MacBook Pro?

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

wouldn't they confiscate your 16GB card as well?

I'm thinking about the same and plan to encrypt the data (also better when my notebook gets stolen).

in addition to that have an encrypted USB stick with the data mailed to me separately just in case the notebook gets confiscated .

should also be a cheaper solution.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

that doesn't really solve the problem. they take your notebook and demand the password for the encrypted disk. so you end up with no data and no notebook while they have the data.

true crypt allows to encrypt a partition that looks like random so nobody knows that there is something. then you need to mail an encrypted usb stick by snail mail so that you at least get you data. it sucks.

5. 9mmCensor macrumors newbie

As far as I know, there are no laws forcing a person to reveal their password, nor to unlock a system guarded by one to allow anyone to have access to their data. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know how far this has been tried in court, but it would be nice to either have a case of precedence or to set one and clear this matter up.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

when you're a foreigner in US immigration/customs/homeland security say they want the password what are you going to do? resist and lose your visa? there were cases like this (don't have a quote though). in the best case they hold you for hours to figure out everything wich means you lose your connecting flights and all that. it's easier to show them a boringly empty HD and move on.