16Gb flash and booting up in bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hellsoldiers08, Mar 20, 2009.

1. hellsoldiers08 macrumors newbie

Hi, im new to mac`s in general, but i have been a pc user for good 5 years. I decided to get a mac laptop because of all theses great things i have been hearing and what you can do with applications.

The two problems i have is that i just recently bought a ocz 16gb hard drive and when i plug it into the computer the eject looking icon doesn`t even come up, its if the it was never plugged in. When im running vmware (xp) it will show up in that??? Kinda confused on how xp(vmware) would see it and mac os x wouldn`t??

The other thing i am want to do is put kubuntu on the bootcamp sense i got accustomed to it in the last week of getting and using vmware for kubuntu. The question is how do i boot into bootcamp before going into os x. I read some were how to do it but sense then i forgot how to :(. O, and if anyone can give me there oppion of some of the pros and cons running kubuntu on a mac laptop or any problems they may of crossed when just installing it.

Well thoughs are the two question i have and if anyone could help me getting closer to my goal of what i want, i would be very much appreciated :D

2. scuzy macrumors member

i think you have the device attach to your vmware thus bypassing the osx. If you right click the usb device icon in fusion and say disconnect i think your osx will see the drive.

3. xoggyux macrumors 6502

open the disk utility to see if you can see it there, if so try to mount it from the disk utility (to run disk utility just press command+space and write "disk" it should be the first option, else look for it in the list)
    As for boot camp, I think there is probably a way to install kunbuktu but I do no know how to do it...

4. hellsoldiers08 thread starter macrumors newbie

O well see i tried to have it plunged in with out the vmware running at all, but yet the problem still persisted. Well what would i press to get into boot camp?? thats what im trying to figure out. After i figure that out ill be able to get everything else in place.

5. hellsoldiers08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well good new i got the flash stick working. thank you for telling me how to get there lol i would never of known how to get there. Still trying to figure how to boot into bootcamp :(:apple:

6. Gerri Shin macrumors member

did you try pressing (and holding) the Option key right as the screen turns gray? That will let you choose which partition to boot from.

7. hellsoldiers08 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya i tried the option screen and it only had the mac hard drive icon showing. :apple:

8. hellsoldiers08 thread starter macrumors newbie

well hear it to sum it up on why i want linux on the mac. I want to be able to boot linux up from the usb. If you guys know how to make it to were i hit a button and it buts up from the usb that would be great

9. hellsoldiers08 thread starter macrumors newbie

i found this on youtube.com would you guys recommend this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZQmQex0I6s&feature=related

i also find this when i did a google search: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=10591
    does it hold any truth??

Just stating im really good with a windows bases computer because 1. it has a mobo bios 2. mac (which i learned) dont run off of a direct bios..... so something new there lol.

O,also i got kubuntu up using bootcamp but i decided to do the install to my usb(16gb) but it may look like i cant boot direct from usb :(

10. hellsoldiers08 thread starter macrumors newbie

well apparently me doing that bootcamp thing wasnt a bad idea to get me what i wanted.

1. used bootcamp to start up kubuntu
    2.i hit the option to run with out changing your computer configuration
    3. when i did the install, when it came time to install it on the hard drive i choosed my usb(ocz16GBflash) to install kubuntu to.
    4. restarted the system. This is were i dont know how i did it but it worked :)
    Try these to see if you can boot up threw the usb
    1.hold option+y
    2.hold option+c
    3.hold option(i think that one is what you do for boot camp)
    4.hold y
    5.hold c

I kinda did theses in a rapid row while on the gray screen so i couldnt really be sure what got it to boot from the usb flash drive.

All in all the thing ran nice and smoooth!! Felt as if i had a ssd lol. Just i couldnt get drivers for the broadcom wifi(that is what kubuntu told me i guess the chip set was). Also, nvidia site had a error so i couldnt do any video card driver install.

So i shut it down and i got a error message,it read "Grub". I was like sxxx!! o man i had the macbook pro a week and i already manage to mess it up :(. Well thank god i remember reading to switch what it boots up in or w.e was hold the option key down and so i did and problem was solved like that.

Macbook Pro:Core 2 dual 2.66ghz(1066fsb,6mb cache), 1066 DDR3 4Gb, 320Gb HD:apple:

11. xoggyux macrumors 6502

you might want to try fusion or parallels.. (I think it is hard to get games running on windows over VMware, but i know it is possible) for for linux I dont see why not :D

12. hellsoldiers08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hhm maybe you didnt read....i figured out how to boot up from my flash drive. were did gaming come into all of this???? If i wanted to game, i got my pc for hard core gaming ok??? anyways

13. xoggyux macrumors 6502

why then you don't just use emulation software, linux is pretty light and should run smooth along with mac os x (the gaming comment was made to rule out that option if you wanted to do it, I know you did not ask for that...)
    If you just try to boot up (without going trough OS X) you might later find you are missing drivers etc (probably you will find solutions out there since I guess you are not the first one trying to do this) but if emulation can suit you, then you better give it a try.