16GB, Instead of Replacement 8GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pelicanflip, Aug 3, 2009.

1. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Here's the overall story:

I had a 2G 8GB iPhone, running 2.2.1 firmware. It was jailbroken and unlocked for T-Mobile. Its warranty had expired about 6 months ago.

Recently, my iPhone had a serious problem with charging and being recognized by my laptop, computer, and macbook air. It would not charge, refused to be recognized by any computer device, and all six geniuses that attempted to help me at three different Apple stores had no idea what happened to my iPhone. There was no water damage, no physical damage, no water sensors were tripped, nothing.

I also attempted to restore my iPhone through DFU. Once again, no results. The Geniuses tried to restore through DFU. Two Geniuses managed to get my iPhone to connect to their Macbook Air. The other four couldn't even do that. All six of them couldn't get my iPhone to DFU mode.

Apparently, my iPhone was attempting to restore itself over and over again until finally, it killed itself. R.I.P. iPhone 2G.

In short, I'm getting my iPhone replaced for $199, as part of the Out of Warranty plan.

Now, my question is, would I be able to get my phone replaced as a 2G 16GB iPhone instead of an 8GB? If so, would there be any references that I could use to tell the Genius that would be helping me?

2. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are stories of people that were one month into their contracts getting out of warranty replacements (water/screen) that opted to upgrade and pay the difference.

4. pelicanflip thread starter macrumors 6502a

So would it be dependent on what Genius helps me and how generous they may be?

In addition...anyone know what the price difference is between a 8GB and a 16GB 2G iPhone?

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It probably wouldn't hurt to ask; I mean, what are they gonna' say NO? :eek:

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm... I imagine it would have to go through a manager regardless, but, I don't know.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I always go with the philosophy 'that the answer will be no unless you ask them!'

Just hope that you get a nice genius

8. pelicanflip thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I guess I'll just have to try my luck when I go to get a replacement iPhone.

Just kinda peeved that my iPhone decided to choke and die a rather slow, albeit funny death for a full 36 hours. The Geniuses also laughed at how my iPhone kept on trying to restore itself. Silly iPhone. Just die in peace already. :rolleyes:

9. detroit1 macrumors regular

10. pelicanflip thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's if I sign a new contract.

That'd be just plain painful on my wallet. $199 + the 2 year contract? Not so fun.