16GB iPad Shortage

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Battlestar, May 9, 2010.

1. Battlestar macrumors 6502

It seems that there is a greater shortage of the 16GB models than the other 4 combined. The general concensus is that the 16GB model will be phased out by the end of the year and a 128GB model will be added to the line.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I am sooooo there... :D

3. Battlestar thread starter macrumors 6502

You never know, as the solid state drives become more mainstream memory prices will fall and we may end up with 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB by 2012.

4. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

This is the most obvious first refresh of the lineup an November is the most obvious guess on timing.

By then, we might have some insight into timing and features of second gen.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Ever consider that the 16gb models are in short supply because they are the most affordable? Apple won't want to lose the entry level models so don't expect any config to be discontinued until the next higher config can be sold at the same price.

6. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

^^^^ Exactly. I'm def not as rich as some of the folks here, I could only afford the 16gb and I'm thankful to have an iPad to begin with. Some people do NOT have as much money as you do which I think is lost on some people.

128 gb iPad would not even be in the realm of reality for me in affording it but whoever can, good luck

7. Battlestar thread starter macrumors 6502

I am sure that with the doing away of the 16GB that the 32 will come down to where the 16GBs price point was or probably $399.00.

8. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Exactly! It's brand new tech, with a lot of people screaming they wouldn't get one till next version, or "Apple will drop the price 6 months later like the 1st IPhone", a lot of people were probably tenative. I'm sure a lot of early adopter feeling 'burned' or concerned with past Apple new device releases wanted to try the thing out, but not commit a large bank roll, in case the next go round is that much better.

When they can get the 128gb model out at the price of the 64 or close, expect to see it then & only then. Wifi only models may go away before the 16gb model does. What will be interesting is when the next refresh comes along, how much all those 16gb IPads will be worth.

9. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Exactly alot of people don't have 700-800 dollars to spend on the 64 gig. So the 16 gig is going to be the popular choice for the casual mainstream audience. The 16 gig won't be phased out until they come out with the next gen of ipads with higher storage capacity and they go for the same prices.

10. jburns macrumors regular

The day the 3g went on sale Best Buy in Greensboro, NC had 15 iPads. 6 32 gig and 9 64 gig. Not a 16 gig in the store.

11. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

Best Buy had iPads on launch day in name only. Just enough to say they had them.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Well by "consensus" you mean sheer guess because no one except the inner circle at Infinity Loop would have any privy to that kind of information. If you are hanging your hat on "analysts" their closets are stuffed to the rafters with bad guesses. Who is included in your "general consensus"?

What solid info do you have that the 16GB is going to be "phased out?" The fact it's in short supply, as others have pointed out, can mean a number of things having zero to do with Apple canceling it.

Now maybe people are thinking back to the early killing of the 4GB iPhone. But that was a different story. 4GBs was never adequate for the iPhone, and that was way before the concept of the App Store. OTOH 16GB is quite comfortable for most, and frankly I can't even imagine why someone would need or want 128GB on an iPad, though I'm sure Apple will make one some day if the can get enough sizable NAND chips on the cheap.

13. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Did it ever occur to the anyone, especially the OP that they 16GB may be in such short supply because it may be the one with the most demand since it is the most affordable of the WiFi or 3G models. Not everyone out there needs or wants the 64GB model which a lot of people in these forums state they can't do without

There has been no indication from Apple that the 16GB was being phasd out at all and there have been several people in hese forums stating that the 16GB is plenty for their use. I did buy a 32 GB version, but based on my usage so far I could easily have gotten by with the 16GB. Right now I have 22.76GB free on my iPad and I have plenty of things in there.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm saving my pennies for the 2TB iPad so I can carry with me all 16 seasons of Stargate series in HD, BSG, 24, all the Star Treks (movies and series), Quantum Leap, and Fringe. I can wait for the 4TB version to add X Files and Star Wars... :D

15. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

It seems obvious, to me at least, that the reason the 16Gb iPad is in such short supply is because it is $100 cheaper than the 32Gb model. If the 16Gb model is inadequate, you couldn't prove it by me. I either download or stream my media to it from network drives on an as needed basis. Consequently, of the 14.0Gb data capacity on my iPad, 13.1Gb are currently unused.

16. jreuschl macrumors 6502

All 3 models are 5-7 day shipping on Apple's website. What's so hard about ordering whatever model you want online?

17. emaja macrumors 68000

Bingo!

There's no shortage at all.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'd rather have my whole library with me. I have an Archos 5 Android tablet that supports external USB drives, so I have all my stuff on a 2.5" 1TB portable drive. Can't tell you how often ive been in the mood to listen or watch something I didn't sync to my 32GB Archos that I was thankful I had my portable terabyte. And this usually happens on a 14 hour flight to Japan... :D

19. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I hear you and agree that how much storage capacity one needs on an iPad is a function of how one uses it. Thanks to the GoodReader for iPad app, I can easily download anything I want from my large media library, which is stored on external drives by adding the iPad to my Macbook Pro as a shared drive. I wouldn't consider taking a trip without having a real computer to go along with my iPad. The iPad is wonderful at what it does but there is a lot a real computer can handle that the iPad can't, at least not yet.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Agreed. But what baffles me is Apple's apparent stubbornness in embracing external or expandable storage. I'd settled for a microSD slot! :D The jailbreak crowd proved an external USB device can be used, so why the insistence in keeping the system so closed? It can't be they want to sell more 64GB units. They would still sell like hotcakes. I've never understood that.

But then again I've never sold a million of anything in 24 days, so what do I know? :D

21. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

If your 14-hour flight doesn't have wifi, then I agree, 64gb would be a plus. I think I would leave the laptop at home even for a trip to Japan unless I needed it for specific work.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Even if it did, given a choice to have my whole library with me at USB 2.0 speeds vs. having to download, id rather have it all with me. The jury is still out on whether the iPad will become my movie player, since the virtually nonexistent codec support (outside of iTunes stuff) makes it very inconvenient, but I'd be wiling to re-encode my entire video library if I could carry it with me. Archos is a superior media player, but falls short on many other categories.

Decisions, decisions... :D

23. flyingturtle macrumors regular

Definitely the reason for the 16GB shortage is that they sell the most.

At least that's what people tell me at the various BestBuys I've been to recently (including MacMall). I asked them for trends and they say 16GB sell in a matter of hours, while the 64GB might set for a couple days.

$499 price point seems more palatable for the majority of people. Having said that, the 64GB seems to be more popular than the 32GB, again according to the few stores I visited in my area.

People seem to either buy cheap or buy the most expensive one and not the middle model.

24. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

Yes, conventional wisdom is 16gb is the most popular, though I am not convinced. My local Apple store says 64gb is their most popular, by a small margin. Also agree that most either go for cheapest or max. It takes a certain amount of calculation to pick the 32gb model.

25. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I also think the relative newness of this type device causes many to see it as a 'tester', that is, to see if it fits their needs etc., and go for the lower price point. I think the 32 is a nice compromise for me. I find 16g works for me but I'd like the occassional option to load more and I like to have a buffer. I don't need 64.