16GB iPhone 3G by August 1st... can it be done?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zwhaler, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Basically, I am in a situation where I either need to get the iPhone 3G by August first, or I will then no longer be able to leave my current carrier (Verizon) without paying an early termination fee. At this point I don't really care about white or black (I perfer white, though). I just happen to live closest to the Stoneridge Mall Apple Store in Pleasanton CA, which apparently is the only US Store that still has 16GB Black iPhones. What should I do? I will first call the Apple Store, but how else should I go about getting one so that I won't have to pay the dreaded ETF from Verizon. My true deadline is closer to the 9th or August, but I will be leaving on the 2nd until the 14th so I can't do much about it after the first.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Go to AT&T and get them to port your number before 8/1.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Or you could leave Verizon early. Unless you need it for business, you can go a day without a phone.

4. dawg521 macrumors member

If you don't care about having a white iPhone, then you can most likely get that within 2-3 days from the DF order date at your AT&T store. Those are shipping VERY fast.

5. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I like this idea, especially given that I really want to keep my number. So will they port my number and save it in their system until I get an iPhone? Or do I need the phone on hand for them to get me a number. I am more than willing to go without a phone for a few days if it means I can keep my number in the long run.

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Even without a phone, I am sure they can port the number into the system and onto a sim card.

7. And5555 macrumors member

As well, if they port the number now, you could buy a Pay As You Go phone temporarily $15-20 (which do come with SIM cards), use that SIM card for your phone # until your iPhone arrives. This way you wouldn't be without a phone.

The trick is to find a very experienced, knowledgeable AT&T rep at a local store (somebody who's been around for a long time) as they want to be known as your individual buddy that you will come to for every question (they work on commission). These "go-getters" will bend the rules and do magical tricks in many ways to keep you happy.

By the way, if you're worried about buying a $20 phone temporarily for a few days, trust me: it's a good idea anyway. If your iPhone breaks, if your battery is low and you NEED your phone, you will be glad you have a backup that you can just pop your SIM card into.

8. emr25 macrumors member

At&t Df

I believe you stated you prefer white, and if this is the case AT&T's DF process would be an option to consider. However, if you would rather not go to AT&T this would not work. I ordered my 16GB White on 7/18 in Savannah, GA and picked it up 7/21. It would have been earlier had I not ordered it on a Friday (weekend shipping, etc.).

9. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Dude the stoneridge apple store has all three iphone 3g models in stock.

Go get it know!

10. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Both times I went to the Burlingame store, they had white ones in stock. I bought a black one, though, and it took about an hour of waiting in line for it. The Walnut Creek store also had white ones when I called last week. The key seems to be finding out when they get their shipment and loiter at the store just before that time. When I got to the Burlingame store last Thursday, they hadn't gotten their shipment. Minutes later, though, they announced the shipment's arrival and the line formed instantly. Though I was about 12-15 people back in the line, there were plenty of phones for as much of the line as I needed there to be. :)

11. pundapun macrumors newbie

I agree. 2 days for my wife's 16GB white.

12. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Hey everybody, I just wanted to say that I did in fact make it to the Stoneridge Mall (luckily its the closest store to me) and picked up the White 16GB that I wanted. I had to wait in line for 2 and half hours, but so far it was worth every minute! It's my first iPhone, so you guy can imagine how cool I find it to be. Also, after buying it I called 611 and asked them to port my number, which they did with ease. So far I'm impressed with their customer service. Thanks for all the advice. :)