16GB Not available at Launch UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by digmo, Jul 5, 2008.

1. digmo macrumors member

2. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Someone is just trying to boost hits to his website... :rolleyes:

There are loads of posts on this topic. Shame if true, but I doubt it.

3. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

At the moment it's all hear say, just don't get your hopes down. Personally I think most of the O2 employees have not been briefed on the current situation on iPhones so their talking about the rumors amongst themselves in work. Most O2 employees I've tried talking to have given me false facts like, come into the store to upgrade when I try to tell them that their website states
    http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/existingiphonecustomers
    When I offered to show them that information they would not even look at it.

I got a feeling that everything should be fine, but we never know.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Right... Someone on the internet says that they work for the company in question and you believe it. Also, the fact that it's a link to your blog makes it a bit less credible for me.

There are people saying that O2 will have them, some say not. I'll take everything on this topic with an abnormally large grain of salt until Friday.

5. sallythemac Guest

Use the search!

Theres already a thread on this, use the search button before posting duplicate threads.

6. ajthomason macrumors 6502

... or just read sallythemac's signature. :)

7. sallythemac Guest

I didn't want to make it THAT easy, lol :D

8. digmo thread starter macrumors member

I know it is my own blog but it was post that came through the comments. I do think it is genuine but like other posters have said it does appear that O2 staff have been told a range of things and don't really know what is happening yet.

David

9. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Your best bet is to keep looking at the website compared to asking the staff because most the staff barely know what information is on the website. They just are there to sell.

10. sallythemac Guest

The fact that the comment is anonymous as well doesn't help.

11. digmo thread starter macrumors member

yes, but then I thought perhaps they don't want to get to bother in work. I assumed by the fact they admitted they wanted one too helped. Perhaps it is just the store he/she works in. I guess on this week will tell. I certainly want to go from 8 to 16 so will wait and play with the apps store in the meantime.

I guess all we are discussing is - is it 11th or a few weeks after ?

David

12. mailliw macrumors member

I know Apple prides itself on whipping up a frenzy of fanboy speculation - and all of us are happily whipped up - but if there were delays of the magnitude that some are suggesting, it surely would've been leaked to the media by now.

However secretive a company is or tries to be, journalists have a way of nuzzling their noses where it's not wanted. If the 16GB model wasn't going to be available on the launch day, I can't believe it would lie untouched - certainly by UK's press. In my non-technology industry, we journalists hear about things well in advance whether the organisations like it or not. Apple can't be that good, so...this is my feeble attempt at calming everyone's fears!

It'll all be cushdy.

13. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Maybe you're just scaremongering to get more hits on your website?

14. digmo thread starter macrumors member

This is definitely not the case. I am a genuine iphone customer posting regarding a comment on site. I have the IP address of the poster etc this is genuine. Anyone one who runs a website will want it to be popular but there is no way I will lie to get traffic. I'd rather have the truth than a popular site. To be honest the music interviews receive more traffic than iphone if I had to justify myself, which I don't..... it really is a genuine comment and I for one take it at face value.

David

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What's an IP worth, in comparison to actually talking to a few O2 staff? Personally, i'd rate having a conversation with a Manager at a store over some anonymous comment on a site I hadn't heard of...

I think people are basically trying to say that maybe something like

"According to [someone who says they are] an O2 employee (http://www.digmo.co.uk/mobile/iphone.../#comment-3979) the 16GB will not be available at launch and the pre-ordering has been scrapped."

Would go down better.

And maybe toning down the thread title - it's misleading as it stands.

16. mailliw macrumors member

The punctuation and grammar of the title make my eyes bleed, too. sort It ouT. :p

17. davidjtaylor07 macrumors member

i was in an o2 store today at the metrocentre and on the iphone display table, it was kitted out in promo posters and along the side it stated that the iphone would only be the 8gb model at launch! cant remember the exact wording but definatly gave the impression of no 16gb at launch.
    go and see for yourself!
    d

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd say with some certainty, having seen a similar promo 1st hand, and another posted here, that the poster you saw didn't state that only the 8GB would be launched on the 11th. Hence the need for talking about the exact wording. Anyone care to add a decent photo of one of the posters to put this to rest?

Unless that store is getting a harsh delivery from O2. It does seem more likely you're just mis-reading the fine print.

(e.g. something like 8GB iPhone provided at no additional cost on selected consumer and business tariffs. Subject to availability. Connection subject to status, minimum term contract, credit check and direct debit. Terms apply....)

Ah, "Handset subject to availability" - what a get out clause...
    http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly

just as a side note - did anyone else know that Telefónica O2 Europe owns 50 % of Tesco Mobile as having 100% ownership of Be, a leading UK fixed broadband provider?