16GB of Ram and 11GBs of page outs?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by chacabuco74, May 13, 2015.

1. chacabuco74 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im running a mid 2011 Mini (2.3ghz i5) with 16GB of Ram and a SSD and am getting really slow laggy performance. OS 10.8.5

Granted Im working on large (1GB+) photoshop files but even when not using PS Im getting delays when clicking the mouse etc. Not seeing the type of performance I was expecting with the RAM and SSD upgrades.

Reading on the forums here I see a lot of suggestions regarding upgrading RAM if you are seeing high page outs. I just created a new user account and rebooted and am still seeing high page outs. Could this be indicative of bad RAM or something else? I've attached a screen shot from Activity Monitor taken right after launching

Thanks for any suggestions

Attached Files:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Turn it off and on again, with the option 'Reopen Windows when logging back in' disabled.

Ensure you shut down every few days in future, shutting down will clear the RAM & disabling reopen windows should ensure that any background processes/memory leaks that were previously running won't reopen.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

^ what the guy above me said.

Also, try using Yosemite. It handles RAM way better than ML because of RAM compression and caching.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Upgrade to Yosemite and also take a look at cpu graphs.

5. chacabuco74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. Disabling the reopen windows option cleared up the Page outs but performance is still slow (though better).

I've been reluctant to upgrade due to some legacy software, but I think the benefits will outweigh the risks at this point.

Thanks again
    Rob