16GB on Macbook Pro mid 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gio89, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Gio89 macrumors newbie

Gio89

Hello. I've got a Macbook Pro 13" mid 2010 - 2,66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - RAM 2+2GB.
    I'm trying to change the RAMs with a pair of 8GB Corsair ones. Apple actually says my mac can mount a maximum of 4+4GB, but hearing and reading around seems it can mount up to 16GB. It doesn't get stuck immediately and doesn't make sounds but it gets stuck at the "grey loading page".
    I tried to do the PRAM reset and try the two RAMs separately. Re-mounting the old RAMs it works good.
    Any idea?

Thank you.

2. Apple Maniac macrumors newbie

Apple Maniac

it is likely that the ram is not compatible . You know the speed of the ram? It may appear as a number as " 12800 "

(DDR3-1600 200 MHz 5 ns 800 MHz 1600 Millones PC3-12800 12 800 MB/s)
    it is likely that the ram is not compatible . You know the speed of the ram? It may appear as a number , for example , " 12800 "

if you install faster ram , you can not run Mac.

You have deep cleaned connectors ram does not work? if you touched with your finger for example could not function. Cotton and a little alcohol, pure without additives at least, and problem solved .

3. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Have you upgraded the EFI before installing the sticks? You'll need to boot from a supported OS X(Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite), download the EFI update from Apple and then run the updater which requires a reboot afterwards.
    When I got 16GB RAM upgrade for my 2012, I actually used my 13"(2010) to run MemTest so the RAM was a higher clock and it booted properly. Keep in mind once you go 16GB, you won't be able to boot into Snow Leopard properly on 2010 MBPs.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

I owned this exact same machine until last week (and I regret selling it this week.) It has the same ram problems as the Mac Mini 2010 with the same specs. You need the 16gbs of 2x8 Mushkin ram. I pulled my 2x8 Mushkin ram sticks before I sold, PM me if interested.

5. Gio89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gio89

Thanks for your replies.

Apple Maniac: My new RAM is: Corsair MACMEMORY 8GB - SODDIM DD3 1333MHz 9-9-924.
    I didn't clean them but I kept them from their package without touching connectors.

happyfrappy: I downloaded the EFI upgrade but when I open it a message says it can't work on my mac. Indeed, reading on the Apple download page: "This update enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection on MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) models." And on system requirements it says: Mac OS X 10.7.2. Whereas i've got Mavericks.

California: I don't know, they says this RAM is specifically for macbooks.

6. California macrumors 68040

California

The 1333Mhz will not work on the 2010 MacBook Pro or the Mac Mini 2010. I have the right ram for sale, I just took it out of my same Macbook Pro as yours. You need 1067MHz ram. PM me back.

7. Gio89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gio89

Yes, I look around on web and the mid 2010 MBP can't mount 1333MHz RAM. It seems I have to buy two new memories. Thanks California, but I prefer other brand RAMs.

Meantime, I did other tests:
    - the new RAMs work on my brother brand-new Macbook Pro
    - my mac works mounting an old and a new RAM - but it recognize both as 1067MHz and it appear quite slow

8. California macrumors 68040

California

Good luck. I bought this ram after doing the research on these machines (the 2.66/2.4GHz 13" Macbook Pro 2010 is the same chipsets as the 2.66/2/4GHz Mac Mini 2010) and the Mushkin ram was the only ram that worked. See post number 2:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16gb-ram-in-a-mid-2010-mac-mini.1511232/

9. Gio89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gio89

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll buy these. I've never bought on OWC, but it seems to be good and, above all, they tested it on my specific machine and all the buyer comments are completely positive.
    What do you think guys?

10. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

It will work. We installed 16GB on my brother's 2010 MBP. It does have to be compatible ram, though.

11. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

OWC is the most reliable as they test the RAM to work in specific models and warranty them. Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin & G.Skill are equally good but their "RAM Configuration" typically doesn't update to the higher supported memory as 2010 MBPs/MB/minis were originally factory rated at 8 GB of RAM with their original OS(Snow Leopard).

Part of the RAM headache is some makers don't have equal CAS/CL testing standards so a slightly slower stick failing to work in a PC/Mac has a >5% RMA rate which becomes just the cost of doing business. In my experience "Value RAM" is typically the sloppier tested sticks, I've had sticks drop dead outside of a shorter warranty so the savings isn't always worth it.

Looks like Mavericks by default installs the EFI upgrade after 10.9.1 software update(found it on a search result).

12. California, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015

California macrumors 68040

California

Actually, as I understood it, the Mushkin ram was the ONLY ram that was factory rated at 16gb (2x8gbs)for our 2010 Apple machines and for these Macs to work in Snow Leopard. That is what all the trial and error back in the day with these macs was all about. I ran it this way on both my Mac Mini and my 2010 Macbook Pro 2.66 until just last week.

I was running 16gbs on Snow Leopard with Mushkin ram. Ran perfect in 10.6 all the way up.

As a matter of fact, that is why I miss my 2010 machine, I want to go back to Snow Leopard and I can't on my new laptop.

On the Mushkin ram, I was just quoting MR member phillipma1957 who = the resident MacRumors Mini expert:

Also "ramexperts" sells this Mushkin ram (just bought another Mushkin 16gb for a family member's 2010 machine from them on eBay) and I know it is the perfect ram for these machines. Especially if you need to run Snow Leopard for PPC application purposes.

13. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

I never went higher than 8GB from the 2nd week of ownership(May), 8GB single sticks didn't hit the market until later in the year and some reports were mixed until the Lion EFI update so I lost interest. Still kept it for Snow Leopard.

My experience was more of a curiosity factor since I just wanted to see what would happen.