16gb or 32gb iPad2 + 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Polish.joe96, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Polish.joe96, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

Polish.joe96 macrumors newbie

I have already decided to buy an iPad2 + 3G but i don't know if I am going to need the 16gb or the 32gb. My itunes capacity reads:

6.5gb of music
    14.5gb of movies
    17gb of tv shows
    40mb of books

I dont plan on putting more than a 1gb of music on it and i am willing to move my videos on and off the ipad. I should be able to fit the books in no problem. I will be using around 50 apps at most at arough estimate. I am just unsure if it is worth paying to fit more stuff on my ipad without the hassle of messing around with itunes on windows. I can't afford the 64gb and i am pushing it a bit if i go for the 32gb. What i am asking is: would the extra money for the 32gb be worth it?

2. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Apps will take up a lot of space as well, especially if you load it up with games. I think mine uses ~10gb for apps. If you can, go for the 32. Otherwise, 16 is fine as long as you are efficient with your space and are ok with carrying just what you need with you.

If you're away from home, and/or travel a lot, the larger space would be worth getting so you can go longer between syncing up of new media. However, if you're home you can stream a lot of your media as an option.

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Just keep in mind that you cannot increase the storage of the iPad2...whatever you get, you must live with until you upgrade to the next iPad or sell it for a different configuration...:)
    iOS, applications and media files are only getting bigger although certainly the Cloud will help with taking many of your files with you and apps like Netflix are convenient as long as you are connected...

4. JTGreen87 macrumors newbie

iCloud

With the ability to download previously purchased songs/videos/games/etc again at no extra charge without having to sync to a computer once iCloud is released, wouldn't getting 16GB be fine? I was concerned 16GB would not be enough and I'd have to go with a larger model, but now that doesn't seem to be as big of a concern as far as I can tell since you could just delete for space and re-download later as needed. And if you are getting a 3G model, as I plan to, this could be done anytime/anywhere.

5. jsh1120, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

jsh1120 macrumors 65816

You're certainly correct that iCloud will provide some relief in this area. A couple of things to keep in mind, however.

First, I don't recall whether the "free" storage limits for iCloud have been set, but I would be surprised if the limit is more than a couple of gigabytes. Most vendors who offer this technology also offer paid subscriptions for greater storage. (I back up several pc's to the cloud for example and use about 90 gigabytes of storage for which I pay a reasonable but not insignificant fee each year.)

Assuming the iCloud employs a similar model, the cost of storing, say, 16 gigabytes of data (the difference between a 16 and 32 gig iPad) has to be considered.

Edit: Just checked and it appears the "free" iCloud storage is 5 gigabytes. That's not insignificant by any means, but one should keep in mind that limit when deciding between a 16 gig and 32 gig iPad.

Second, using a 3G connection using iCloud (or any "cloud" storage) to maintain a large and frequently accessed data store can be both slow and expensive, especially if you have a limit on your downloads of a few gigabytes every month.

This is not to say that a 32 (or 64) gigabyte iPad is a necessity. It all depends upon one's use and requirements. But keep in mind that iCloud and 3G connectivity is not a free lunch.

PS.

Note Apple's comments about iCloud...

"When you sign up for iCloud you automatically get 5GB of free storage. And that’s plenty of room, because of the way iCloud stores your content. Your purchased music, apps, and books, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against your free storage. That leaves your mail, documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data. And since those things don’t use as much space, you’ll find that 5GB goes a long way."

Note the phrase "purchased music, apps, and books." I suspect that means only music and books purchased through iTunes. In my case I have about 20 songs purchased through iTunes and 2500 others ripped from my CD collection. Note also that it says nothing about "movies" whether "purchased" from iTunes or not.

In short, five gigabytes IS a lot of free storage. But also note that music, books, photos, and movies NOT purchased from Apple DO count against that 5 gigs.

6. RayK macrumors 6502

Get the 32. You'll be happier with it in the end methinks.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed. To even ask the question suggests that you're unsure the 16 would be adequate. Spend the extra money, a fair bit of which you'd get back in resale, and don't worry. iPad apps won't be getting any smaller, nor will your usage footprint.

8. JTGreen87 macrumors newbie

Thank you for the thorough and informative response! It has greatly helped me with my decision. :D