16GB or 32GB ipod touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LaReina06, Sep 26, 2008.

1. LaReina06 macrumors newbie

I plan on buying an ipod touch next week, but I am torn between what capacity to get. I currently have 8GB of music, and really no movies or videos. I tend to watch them on my macbook, but once I get the touch, I have a feeling that will change. I also like discovering new music or old favorites, so every couple weeks I am adding between 30 to 50 new songs to my computer. I just don't know which one to pick. :-/

2. Nadasive macrumors 6502

i say the 32GB.. but thats just me :D

i have a 32GB (new :) ) and its still not enough :/

3. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

I went with 32 over 16 as I was running close to 13GB on music files alone, add in a few music videos that I already had and my copy of Blue Harvest, all the pics I will add to carry around and apps that I download.....

Given the doublind of the memory is only US$100 and that makes it a 33% price jump for an extra 200% of the memory the cost to size ratio is pretty good on the 32.

If the price is an issue, you can always limit the amount of things that get synched so you dont have to worry so much.

I did resize my photos to a smaller file size so I can carry more, I have a few thousand pics almost all taken with a Canon 30D or 40D so the standard file size is easily 2.5MB, new size is around 400-500kb, and I just took another 1200 in Seattle last week :).

Always try to buy something you can grow into, especially when going from a standard iPod to a touch where apps etc come into play. My only other iPod is a 4th gen and that means I was going from music only to everything possible when i upgraded.

4. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I was asking the same question last week.

I went with the 16GB in the end. The benefits of the 16GB is you're less likely to fill it with stuff you don't need. However if you can afford it get the 32GB as it does give you more freedom if and when your library significantly expands.

5. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

just get 32Gb. You'll have the room to expand. Some people like to decide how they will fell few hours from now so they add different songs. me? no way plus videos, apps and other things take up space. These 13 year olds dont seem to get that.,.

6. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

On my old 5G Video my whole library was about 15GB- that's photos, music and videos so I thought the 16GB would be ideal- however, I was able to afford the 32GB and thought that it would be good for future proofing and I'm glad I did.

Videos look fantastic on the Touch and I'm adding more and more from DVD etc all the time. I've nearly doubled the number of movies/TV shows I've got in my library in the past week. Plus, although apps don't take up much room, I've been getting apps left, right and centre- you'll be surprised how many fun/useful free apps there are.

Don't judge what you currently have in your library now- once you get the Touch you might want to add more stuff because it's such a good player- I'd recommend the 32GB. It's not a VAST amount more money and it's double the storage.

7. BennyK macrumors 6502

If I could have afforded the 32GB I would have gotten it in a second. However, I couldnt really afford the 8 GB so I got the 16 GB :)
    8 GB is way to small imo, but 8 GB iPod touch is way better than no iPod touch

8. wofhowue` macrumors newbie

why dont you buy an archos 5 320 gb and 449 at future shop

9. Applepwns macrumors member

Since i am buying a new 16gb ipod touch fairly soon (only a few dollars short) ill give my input.
    First off. i cannot afford the 32gb ipod touch. second, i only have a 7gb itunes library, it used to be 17gb but after compressing to ACC and getting rid of all the crap music, it left only the amazing songs.. Also how many movies will you really buy or rip that you will want to watch over and over again? I only watch movies on my ipod if im on a car trip or unless their amazing and i have some free time. If not i will just see it in the theater or rent it to watch on my big screen.
    Also i have 90 apps downloaded from the app store already. its only 524mb. so apps really don't take up much space at all.
    Thats my input, hope i helped!

-Justin

10. 2056 macrumors 6502

with 8 gb of music, a 16gb will be plenty for apps, movies, pictures.

are you the kind of person that likes to have everything on your ipod..without having to add and remove files all the time? then you should definately go with the 32gb ipod. you won't be disappointed!

11. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I currently use a 2g 32gb touch, and here is basically what I put on it:
    12.8gb of music (about 2500 songs)
    7gb of video (7 movies and 25 TV shows ripped at decent quality)
    800mb of apps (about 55 apps)
    400mb of photos (600 photos)
    30mb of assorted data (Contacts, email, calendar, bookmarks)

And I still have room to spare.

12. acedew macrumors member

If you have the money for the 32GB, then buy that one. If you're not quite comfortable spending that much money, then getting the 16GB version will mean that you may have to employ some of the following strategies:

- Only sync podcasts that you haven't listened to
    - Pick several hundred pictures instead of several thousand pictures to put on there (who wants to look through a thousand of your pictures? ;))
    - Pick the most recent 2 or 3 episodes of your favorite shows to sync instead of whole seasons
    - Listen to one audiobook at a time and only load up several when going on a trip
    - Cap your music at about 6-8GB to keep space for the other things above
    - Only keep the most recent 50 email messages for a couple of email accounts

I went from a 30GB iPod Video to a 16GB Touch and found it very easy to clean things up. In fact, I have over 5GB free right now on my Touch. But I understand people that like to have everything on there, especially with all that you can do on the Touch, and if that's you, then you need the 32GB version.

13. Sr. Panza macrumors newbie

Sr. Panza

I think it all depends on the amount of music you have. I have the 32g but because I have about 21 gigs of music. I just downloaded a few pics too. I still have about 6 gigs left which gives me more than enough room to 'grow'. Of course by that time the next generation will be out and the new question will be "Should I get the 64g or the 80g iPod Touch?"