16GB or 8GB What do I really need?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PJNorwood, Feb 19, 2008.

1. PJNorwood macrumors member

OK I am finally going to make the purchase. Still with many questions but those can wait as I may be able to figure it out once I have my phone in hand.

But, for now what do I really need 8 or 16GB? Will the 8 really impact me negatively? I won't be unlocking or customizing. I will not be saving/storing much. I currently have 6 hours of music on my ipod. I will use some type of calendar (I haven't figured that out yet).

If I should go with the 16GB should I wait until next weeks late Feb. event and see if the price does drop? Or should I wait until April 1st. I have waited so long already.

P.J.

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

if you don't need the 16gb, don't buy it-- sure, it would be cool to have the newest model, but why spend more money on something you don't need???

3. Foggy macrumors 6502a

I was in the same dilemma and went for the 8gb. I would have quite liked the 16gb but for me it wasnt worth the extra £60. I have a 2gb ipod nano and that has been fine for ages - I tend to prefer to just put a subset of my music on at a time anyway so I just rotate it when I feel like it.

I also dont really use it for movies and tv which is where I think the extra capacity would really prove itself useful.

4. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Personally, the 8GB / 16GB question came down to how much I was willing to spend (obviously) and how much content I had in my iTunes library - I chose to get the 8GB model.

I currently have about 25GB of music in my collection, so whichever model I bought I was going to have to find some way of splitting it up and syncing just a portion of that.

If I had about 12GB of music in my entire collection, I would have got the 16GB model just for the convenience of having all my music with me all the time.

5. USMCSSGT macrumors member

USMCSSGT

8gb is a lot more than you would think.

I have about 250 pics, 210 songs, and 2 videos totalling about 10 minutes, and that takes up 1gb. I couldn't imagine using all 8gb. You'll be fine with 8gb.

6. PJNorwood thread starter macrumors member

Thanks SGT for the feedback.

And Thank you for what you do.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I'd see what the SDK looks like and how big Apps are (and how many you might want).

8. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I went in last Thursday to the ATT store @ Southdale about 8:30ish. There were 3 people ahead of me, all buying iPhones. I decided to go with the 16 gig for more bang for the buck. I'm already committed to $400. I can double my storage for another $100? No brainer. I've already got 6 gigs on it with Movies, music etc... When SW companies start producing apps for this thing, I know there will be a few I must have.

I'm awed by this. I keep coming across small features or I find a way something is done and I'm just impressed with the sheer thought that went into the design of both the hardware and the software.

I'm going to get a rider on it from State Farm for $35. So should anything happen to it, regardless of fault, it'll be replaced no questions asked.

I recommend the 16 gig.

Coachingguy

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

If I was going to purchase an iPhone now, I would wait for the SDK to see how much room I might want for the apps I would like to use in addition to the content I like to carry.

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

That is a good idea. I am going to have to look into that in addition to Applecare. It sounds a little more long term.

I would wait a week or two to see if a price drop occurs. Then go for the 16gb for the 8gb price. You have waited this long whats another couple of weeks if you save $100. Plus like everyone else is saying, you will have room for expansion. The iPhone is like an addiction. The more that you see you can do with it the more you want to do with it. And I think once Apps start getting released it will be that much worse.

11. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Ive got a 4gb, its plenty big for me. I dont see any need to carry a ton of music or movies. Seriously, it takes 2 seconds to delete a group of songs and add new ones. Ive got 6 or 7 cds that Im currently listening to alot, 2 full length movies, and a cpl short videos. Still have about 1gb left. Different strokes for different folks though.

12. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I too went with the 16. Dang thing is almost filled up already. Very hard choosing what to put on and what to leave off.

How does that work? One-time $35 fee, or is that monthly? Annually? Do you do this with your homeowner's insurance? Details!!! (please)

13. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

"How does that work? One-time $35 fee, or is that monthly? Annually? Do you do this with your homeowner's insurance? Details!!! (please)"

Yearly, it's a rider to your home owners insurance or renters insurance as the case may be. Check the forums here, I'd like to claim it as my idea, but I read it here first :)

Coachingguy

14. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

15. B.A. macrumors regular

If you're even questioning it, get the 16. What is more likely in the future- that you would have more music/movies/pictures/etc, or less? You double your capacity for $100 more. I had the 8 and it barely fit all my music. I returned it for the 16. Now I have all my music, a lot of my pictures, and 5 full length movies on it, with a few gigs to spare for the coming apps.

16. gr8ful macrumors member

Keep in mind your future use of the device with the SDK opening the door to many new applications. You want to have enough space for more than just music (video clips, ebooks, reference documents, spreadsheets, and even databases).

If your needs are pretty basic and not very diverse, the 8gb will be plenty. However, I personally would get a 16gb because the new applications and their associated data, that will soon be available will require some space as well.

17. dj420118 macrumors regular

Its is always nice to think ahead about applications BUT how big are applications for mobile devices really? Usually they are just a few MB. If you don't plan on putting your ENTIRE music and movie collection in the iPhone save yourself 100 dollars and get the 8GB but hey its your money

18. Surely Guest

Surely

I think you should rephrase your question. Ask yourself which one you want, not which one you need. If you get the one you want, you'll be happy.