16GB or Fusion Drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bbeanpin, Apr 1, 2014.

1. bbeanpin macrumors newbie

Thinking of my first imac, which would be a better $200 investment the 16GB upgrade or the Fusion Drive?

I do a little photo editing and might try some video editing. Other than that I really don't push a system every hard at all, internet, email, maybe simple games.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From your usage, it doesn't appear that the 16GB would be utilized. A fusion drive may be the better choice or if your storage needs are huge, maybe just a SSD?

3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

You've not said what size your buying....if 21.5" I would get the 16g mem ug and the fusion ug (personally would opt for the ssd ug)...if the 27" I would forgo the mem ug as you can do yourself (back panel open for mem ug on 27") and get the fusion ug (once again would opt for the ssd)

4. bbeanpin thread starter macrumors newbie

Just the 21.5 base model. I don't think i want just an SSD as I have about 100GB of photos all ready and would prefer to store them on board and not on USB drives or Network Storage.

As a current Windows user I am having a tough time spending even the $1300 on a new system but if more memory or the Fusion drive would make a big difference I might spring for it.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I would get both the 16gb and Fusion drive as the 21.5" can't be opened (unless you want to go ifixit root and possible void warranty)...think future proofing and future resale value.

6. Gianlusp macrumors member

maybe better 16gb and ssd 500?but not enough storage...

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have to agree with maflynn. If it it one or the other as you have stated, then I would go with the fusion drive. I have the fusion drive and it is a nice feature to have. From the sounds of things, you would never get to use the 16GB RAM.

8. Unrealtechno macrumors newbie

Fusion drive without a question.

I went from 4GB of ram to 12 and barely noticed it. I then made a fusion drive and it is like a whole new computer.

9. bbeanpin thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

Based on your needs a Fusion would be a better investment.

11. bry223 macrumors regular

Get the 16gb, then later invest In a cheap thunderbolt dock like the seagate go flex, buy a ssd, turn it into your boot drive then use the standard hd in your mac as your go to storage drive for libraries etc