16GB over 8GB for Media Only? Any Big Apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nanook, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Nanook macrumors regular

Nanook

Hey All,

This close to pulling the trigger, but since I already have an iPod Classic 160GB with over 40GB of music, I don't really want another "iPod." Is there any other reason to pick the 16GB over the 8GB other than media storage? Are there any big apps that may take up hunks of memory? Does anyone wish they had gone bigger for reasons other than running out of space for music?

Thanks!

-N

2. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I had 16g and sold it and now i have 8g and miss the 16g. So I say 16g for 100 dollars more.

3. NFLBlitze1 macrumors newbie

if you have the money to burn for the extra 16gigs, personally im in the same boat as you, i have around 80gigs of music, that i have on my old ipod, but i typically like to have the best in class type deal, if there was a 32gig iphone out i would buy it because it really can't hurt to have the extra space, plus not to mention you can stream all your music to your iphone with some apps and you'll have plenty of room for movies, and apps and things of that sort. Like i said, if you have the money to burn why not?

4. Surely Guest

Surely

I haven't come across any giant apps. I have a bunch of apps, and they only take up hundreds of MBs of space. I'm sure there are big apps out there (perhaps Netter's Anatomy Atlas), but nothing big enough to justify an extra 8 GB of space. The extra space would be needed for media.

I have 4 pages of apps on my phone, and this is what my iPhone capacity looks like:

Attached Files:

5. Groovetopia macrumors newbie

I have a 80gb iPod thats nearly full with all my music on it, and a 8GB iPhone which only has a couple of albums that I listen to when walking to and from class and is mostly full of apps but still nowhere near capacity. If you're not going to use the iPhone as your primary media player, I say go for the 8GB especially in this economy.

6. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I've got 15 apps. One of which is an Document viewer. Those documents can add up, but I'd say it's rare for people to have over 1gb of apps. I personally find it too sloppy.

I'd say get the 16gb one since it is only $100 more. You may find yourself wanting to put some playlists on it when you don't want to carry a iPod Touch and an iPod. Viewing video on it is a dream too. That might be a consideration.

Attached Files:

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've not run across many large apps that in combination would need another 8GB. If you aren't going to be putting a lot of media on the phone then an 8GB iPhone should do you just fine.

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

This is my usage ....

I say go for the 16. You might as well.

Attached Files:

9. scootaru macrumors 6502

Apps are generally < 10MB. I have 8gig iPhone. I use Simplify Media to stream my music library, so I just have like 10 movies it. I still have enough room (2.5GB) to fit a couple hundred songs if I want or maybe a few more movies.

10. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I recommend going for 16. I use it mainly because the majority of it is video and it takes up quite a bit of room. It never hurts to have more than necessary if you can afford it. You'd rather have extra room than need more.

11. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

16gb, taste change, and perhaps movies in the iphone may be useful. I know for me it does, ie treadmill at the gym. Plus I think when I had the 8gb, i think the actual capacity was like 6.something gigs. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Unless you're one of those people unbelievably happy with a 2GB iPod Nano, get the 16GB iPhone. I don't regret my 8GB purchase (got a refurb deal and there were no 16GB available), but I REALLY wish I had at least another 8GB. I can only have one, maybe two movies on here at a time. My previous iPod was a 30GB video iPod, so I've been learning to deal.

I don't think you'll have to worry about app size. The biggest one I have seen is 120ishMB, and I think that was the Texas Hold 'Em game. Most apps are less than 10MB, and I'd say more than 99 percent of them are less than 50MB.

13. Nanook thread starter macrumors regular

Nanook

Thanks for all the replies, folks!

I guess I'll just see how flush I am feeling when I buy.

The main reason is I asked is I like to have as much data as possible locally on the phone itself, rather than rely on an internet connection to get content. And I like lots of reference material at my fingertips such as dictionaries and encyclopedias. Good to know apps don't get that big!

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I would go with the 8GB. Apps are very small.

15. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Apps are small, but I would definitely go for the 16GB anyway.

If you can afford it, why not get it? It's not going to hurt anyone.

16. jobsfnby macrumors regular

if you have money to spare, buy the 16 gig. It can never hurt to have more memory...especially since bigger, better games are going to take up more memory. Since now i've only seen 2 apps bigger than 100mb. One was 900 and sumthing mb and it was a maps application. and another was like 230 mb and it was the CSI: MIAMI app.

If you have the money to buy the 16 gig do it, if you don't have the money, the 8 gig is still gonna be great for you, you'll just have to manage ur music more.

17. davyreins macrumors 6502

I usually try to get the biggest hard drive that I can afford at the time. Because the space of hard drives increases like clock work, you're drive can get outdated pretty quickly. If you get an 8gb, it basically all ready is.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If cost is a driving factor, AT&T does now offer refurbished 16GB iPhones (and 8GB for that matter), which makes the cost quite a bit less.

As for apps, there aren't that many huge ones. The "large" games such as Spore, Hero of Sparta, Brothers in Arms, etc, I think are usually not much bigger than about 80MB. I think the turn-by-turn GPS nav app is quite a bit larger because of its map files, so that would be a counterexample, but most apps are quite small.

19. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

If a turn by turn GPS solution ever comes out, and it has all pre-loaded maps, that is going to be one LARGE application. I'd say 2GB?

20. Nanook thread starter macrumors regular

Nanook

Ah, now we're talking turkey. I currently have TomTom Navigator on my Treo, and the biggest map I've used is Western and Central Europe at 1.6GB. If whatever GPS software they release for the iPhone doesn't do it right and let you split up maps, those could get pretty large.

I was going to buy yesterday, but found out my contract with Verizon expires on Jan. 4, so I have a little thumb twiddling to do.

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have a BlackBerry with Garmin Navigator running on it. The app is actually very small because it downloads the maps over edge as you move along. This is likely how the GPS will be with the iPhone if and when it ever happens, similar to Google maps.

22. Nanook thread starter macrumors regular

Nanook

Gah, I hope not. I am not a fan of this increasing reliance on a data connection. If you're doing a lot of driving in the boonies, you would most likely need a GPS more, have less of a chance of getting a signal, and have less opportunities to pull over and ask = lame.