16GB OWC well worth it!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michial, Nov 27, 2012.

1. michial macrumors 6502

michial

Just got my 16gb of RAM from OWC in the mail today and swapped out my 4gb stock in my 2012 cmbp 15" 2.3. It smokes now. No beach balls anymore. Wow. It was so easy. It took 5 minutes to do it. I ran some time tests on A game loading and playing before and after and the game is definitely more fluid and quicker. I haven't check fps yet but everything is running better. Plus I have 9 Gb free and am streaming an hd movie via Apple TV AirPlay while gaming. Best $100 investment. Glad I got 16.

2. kingc0bra macrumors regular

kingc0bra

I saw this deal for $50 today i believe, you should definitely run some benchmark tests before n after to see if it makes a huge difference, interested to know since im getting my macbook pro today!

3. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

My benchmarks went up almost 400 points to around 12100 on average. I got OWC for 97 plus free 2nd day air with lifetime warranty and excellent 24/7 support so it was worth it. Ive seen way too many mixed reviews and bad sticks on most of the other brands. To each his own. But 16gb from 4gb is well worth it.

4. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

I got one from the OWC, too. I'm fine with it, it works, although it is a bit overpriced;)

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

6. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

When I can $$ I will. This is so cool getting stuff to work fast. I bet an SSD in addition is amazing!

7. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

SSD speeds up your mac even more than RAM, a lot more;)

Keep scanning Newegg.com for deals... Sometimes, you really can score good prices on Samsung or Crucial drives: 256GB ($150-$170); 512GB (below $350)

8. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

The 13" with 16gb smokes too... Made me think I didn't need an SSD I bought on eBay so got a refund!!!

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There are other good sources for less than $100. OWC does a lot of testing on Macs, and they aren't a manufacturer, so it's perfectly normal that they have to charge a certain amount. Crucial is going for about half that on newegg, and it's just as good. In either case I'd suggest testing ram as soon as you install it to alleviate any point of concern.

10. loves2travel macrumors member

Also got the 16gb from OWC and looking to get the SSD. Just have to keep on reading on here to find out which brands will fit and at the best $$$.

11. esskay macrumors 6502

I have 8GB RAM in my cMBP13 2.7 i7... do you guys think I'll see much benefit from upgrading to 16GB RAM? (I saw the RAM deal on Slickdeals today ;)

I mostly use productivity software, some light web development, occasional Photoshop/Illustrator work, lots of browser windows. Do most video editing on my desktop, but I might do some FCPX on the MBP in the future.

I installed a Sandisk SSD already, my geekbench score was 7029 last time I checked.

12. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

I've heard nothing but positive about OWC and their warranty, customer service and reputation with Apple are worth the extra price and peace of mind. I was told their ram is so dependable if it fails at any point they will overnight new sticks. They offer this because they hardly ever have to and the 20 plus years of positive reviews prove it. I'm sure others are good too but I also buy Apple hardware for the same reasons. It just works even though it costs more.

13. stevelam macrumors 65816

I highly about adding ram added any real noticeable fps to your games. Sounds like placebo effect to me.

14. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

Can you please show me where I said it added +fps to my games? I said it was more fluid and things were quicker. Loading my rpg's and customizable features which previously took 30 seconds now take about 2 seconds and menu options etc were way faster. The scrolling is more fluid as well.