16GB ram complete overkill?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TS13, Oct 23, 2013.

1. TS13 macrumors member

just ordered a 13" with 512ssd and 16gb ram..

upgrading from a 2008 macbook with 4bg ram

uses:
    10 tabs on firefox
    ichat/itunes/calendar/email always open
    iphoto

WANT TO USE IT FOR 5+ years.

is 16gb overkill?
    am I safe with 8?

2. MN7119, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

MN7119 macrumors regular

I got the top of the line 13" with 1TB and 16GB RAM. I am upgrading from a 2006 white Macbook so I think it is worth to invest in more memory as I plan to keep this computer for many years. As people say, the more RAM, the better.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

16MB? :p

I agree with you though, if you're expecting it to last 5+ years, get the 16GB. It's only $200 and it buys you peace of mind. You may never use it but if you find out that you're running out of memory in some 3 years from now, you don't want to regret that you didn't pay $200 just to get double the memory.

I know $200 is a lot for an extra 8GB but I guess Apple just likes to overcharge for RAM :(

4. mhuang2286 macrumors newbie

lol.... you guys don't need 16GB of RAM.

The only people who actually need 16GB are people who are either running multiple VM's or deal with software and applications that require a ton of memory. (Video editing, software development, reaaaaaaaaally heavy photo editing, etc)

For 95% of people 16GB of RAM is overkill. I think for most people 8GB is enough even for 5+ years.

seriously guys stop throwing your money away...

5. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Have started to think this but I really don't need more than 256GB SSD. Is 16/256 a bad move? Heard something about 16GB causing more SSD space to be used up, and the configuration being imbalanced.

Part of me thinks that the Retina models won't last as long as the cMBPs anyway, so may just be better to save the money for a new one in the future.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Most people don't need more than 256GB of storage, either. I got 8GB/256GB and I think that's the perfect combo.

7. MN7119 macrumors regular

I guess I saved a lot of money by keeping my Macbook for 7 years. In my case this is the situation where I may never need 16GB of RAM but it is nice to have if needed. Also, these new Macs are not upgrade friendly meaning you cannot change anything once you buy it. Thus, better be safe than sorry!!!

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

16/256 is definitely not a bad move. 256GB is a lot. And if you have more stuff to store, just get a cheap 1/2/3TB external drive, it will be much less than the price of the 512GB SSD.

In my opinion, the retina models will last much longer than the regular cMBP, purely because of the SSD. That means disk fragmentation won't matter unlike a hard drive and won't slow the system down.

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

It's kind of moot now isn't it? :confused:

10. TS13 thread starter macrumors member

I can cancel the order (still processing) and pick up an 8GB model if it will be good enough for the next 4-5 years

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

That's the thing. Nobody knows what you'll be doing in the next 4 years. Who knows... you might be running 4 virtual machines by then for one reason or another. And as RAM becomes more plentiful, coders get sloppy.

Personally, I'd max the machine out with 16GB. You'll never get another chance to do it.

But that's the basis for my philosophy about macs. If one can afford them then one shouldn't quibble about the high prices. i.e., if $200, $500 or even $1000 is going to break you over the next 5 years then you're living outside your means.

You'll be just fine with your selection. (I'd have maxed out to 1TB SSD only because I can afford it. Nothing wrong with 512 though).