Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidnssbm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Great! Thanks \m/

I guess now I just need to comparison shop. From what I've heard OTC and Newegg are the best. I've read many complaints about service/defects from Crucial

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Great! Thanks \m/

I guess now I just need to comparison shop. From what I've heard OTC and Newegg are the best. I've read many complaints about service/defects from Crucial

OWC is the best, cheapest 4GB modules and they buy your old RAM for 60$ (assuming you have 2x2GB). Also great warranty and return policy plus customer support

davidnssbm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Awesome. Thank you. Do you think it's beneficial to keep the old ram from teh 27" in anyway? Is it compatible with any laptops or mac pros? (just trying to look into the future)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Awesome. Thank you. Do you think it's beneficial to keep the old ram from teh 27" in anyway? Is it compatible with any laptops or mac pros? (just trying to look into the future)

It's compatible with all other than Mac Pros (currently). DDR4 won't be available until 2 years. Up to you, do you want to save 60$? Most Macs come with 2x2GB so it's pretty useless as there are no free RAM slots in laptops

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It's compatible with all other than Mac Pros (currently). DDR4 won't be available until 2 years. Up to you, do you want to save 60$? Most Macs come with 2x2GB so it's pretty useless as there are no free RAM slots in laptops

Don't you mean Macbook Pro's. As the Mac Pro's use 240 pin DDR3 ECC memory as opposed to the iMacs 204pin DDR3 Non-ECC memory.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
Normally I would recommend people stray farrrr away from OWC because 99.9% of the time they're overpriced as hell. But the cost of that RAM kit vs the same stuff on Newegg is so close to the same price it doesn't matter which site you get it off of.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Normally I would recommend people stray farrrr away from OWC because 99.9% of the time they're overpriced as hell. But the cost of that RAM kit vs the same stuff on Newegg is so close to the same price it doesn't matter which site you get it off of.

OWC was overpriced before. Like a month ago, 2x4GB was 370$, now it's 320$. 2x2GB kit is still more expensive but OWC's 2x4GB kit is the cheapest kit I've found (for Mac)

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
16gig in an iMac? Do you really NEED that and are you going to USE it?

If its performance you are after, 8 is more than enough and you can put the money you save towards a decent IBM solid-state drive.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
ahh ok. id wanna keep my RAM but :p

16gig in an iMac? Do you really NEED that and are you going to USE it?

If its performance you are after, 8 is more than enough and you can put the money you save towards a decent IBM solid-state drive.
come on, people have certain needs. i for one will require 16GB of RAM. 4GB is SO hard. :(

davidnssbm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
do i NEED 16GB? I thought so... I do video editing in 1080, and will soon be doing it in 2x or 4x that rez with the canon 7D DSLR which shoots an insane res... rendering takes FOREVER. With 16GB I figure I will never have to sit and stare at a Render Loading bar ever again... It's only 300 more for 16GB.

Is there a reason NOT to go 16 if the $300 bucks isn't an issue?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
do i NEED 16GB? I thought so... I do video editing in 1080, and will soon be doing it in 2x or 4x that rez with the canon 7D DSLR which shoots an insane res... rendering takes FOREVER. With 16GB I figure I will never have to sit and stare at a Render Loading bar ever again... It's only 300 more for 16GB.

Is there a reason NOT to go 16 if the $300 bucks isn't an issue?

can i just ask.. if you knew you would be editing in such hi res why didnt you go for the MP?

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
OWC was overpriced before. Like a month ago, 2x4GB was 370$, now it's 320$. 2x2GB kit is still more expensive but OWC's 2x4GB kit is the cheapest kit I've found (for Mac)

They may not really be overpriced anymore, but their prices are still higher than anywhere else (except Best Buy, but who buys RAM from Best Buy?)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
They may not really be overpriced anymore, but their prices are still higher than anywhere else (except Best Buy, but who buys RAM from Best Buy?)

dont come to australia if you are having a sook about OWC prices lol!

1x4GB PC8500 will set you back $300aus (~$270US)!!

and the crucial 2x4GBs are $500 US over there, OWC seems pretty good to me.

where can i grab some RAM that ships to australia>

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Find me cheaper 2x4GB kit for Mac and I'll believe you... Cheapest in NewEgg is 339$ while it's 318$ in OWC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.