Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danwellsvt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Once 8GB SODIMMs become available, what do people think about the potential of the new MBPs supporting more memory? I know this is relevant only in the case of a few specialized applications (I'm thinking heavy use of Photoshop CS5 on very large files)... My guess would be that they may not, because no PC dual core laptop seems to support huge memory (even the 4 slot machines). Quad core laptops DO, on what is apparently the same chipset (in a 4 GBx4 configuration). Anyone got any insight on the technical difficulty of 8 GBx2 on an Arrandale, once the SODIMMs arrive?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
First of all, 8GB DDR3 module will cost as much as your MBP did...

Another problem is that the total amount is not the problem as long as there are more slots but each slot has its limit and I think it's 4GB in MBPs. The reason why there is no 8GB might be that CPUs (=memory controllers) don't support 8GB modules

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
It is possible, though hardly certain, that the slots would support larger chips if they were widely available. Which they might not be for a while yet.

I have on several occasions upgraded machines with chips larger than they supposedly supported, some years after they came out. It often works.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The chipset can only support 8GB. That's what Intel says, not Apple.

Intel usually does quote the maximum they support and then maybe the OEM will have a lower value, but this time it looks like it is 8GB.

danwellsvt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Intel ALSO says that the same chipset only supports 8GB with a quad-core notebook processor. Several PC vendors are shipping those with 16GB (4 slots). Nobody seems to be shipping an actual Arrandale with 16GB support, though...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Intel ALSO says that the same chipset only supports 8GB with a quad-core notebook processor. Several PC vendors are shipping those with 16GB (4 slots). Nobody seems to be shipping an actual Arrandale with 16GB support, though...

It may have external memory controller, I don't know

As Clarksfield is based on Lynnfield, that may be the reason too, hard to say

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.