16GB RAM upgrade for MBP 13 - videos

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -LikesMac-, May 28, 2012.

1. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

Would getting 16GB of RAM for my MBP 13 2011 cause it to perform better when watching YouTube videos (The performance is abysmal right now. Currently, I have 4GB of RAM).

Also, is Corsair the best for 16GB RAM? :confused:

Of course, I'm not thinking of getting 16GB RAM JUST for watching YouTube videos :p

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah, Corsair 16GB are good.
    I use them without a problem.

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I agree with the previous poster. This Corsair kit has been working fine for me.

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

More RAM is usually a good thing but are you sure that is the cause of your issue? On a clean system, 4GB RAM should be more than adequate to stream from You Tube.

5. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I don't think the amount of RAM will affect how your YouTube videos play. Make sure you're running the latest version of your web browser and Flash (unless you're using the HTML5 version of YouTube). Also run an internet speed test to make sure that the videos are running slow because of the computer, and not because of a slow internet connection.

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Yup, I agree. You may not have to spend a penny to get a better You Tube experience and it is most likely to be an ISP issue than your Computer. Do you have an iPhone or iPad to test on your home network?

7. -LikesMac- thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a Mac OS X issue, I can tell you that. Windows 7 (BootCamp) runs YouTube videos MUCH MUCH better than on Mac OS X.

8. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Weird, I got a second hand Macbook running Lion with 2GB RAM to test before I moved to Mac and it never had any problems with You Tube or other flash based video streaming. Are you up to date. Have you tried another browser or Chrome?

9. -LikesMac- thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm up to date…
    I've only used Safari on OS X. I use Chrome on Windows.

Is Chrome better than Safari on Mac or something?

10. samac92 macrumors 6502a

RAM won't affect the youtube playback. The Chrome browser works better for youtube. Try turning html5 videos on if it's off, or off if it's on in safari (it's under the "try something new" button at the bottom of the page on youtube)

11. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Chrome has it's own internal version of Flash incorporated in the browser so wouldn't be using the system wide version I believe - definitely worth trying, if only for You Tube.

12. TijmenDal macrumors member

I've got quite some problems with watching YT video's as well (13" i5 4gb RAM), but also had that on my last MBP (13" C2D with 8gb RAM). Apart from that it runs really smooth...

13. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Sounds like that could be your Internet connection? I am able to use 1080p videos with no issues and also the buffer bar fills up very quick.