16Gb space issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtfield, May 20, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

Hey just a quick question for the community.. how do people with the 16gb feel about the amount of space they have? If the next iphone comes in 16gb and 32gb i'm kind of torn... I think I will only need 16, because i've sorted my music down to about 6gb that i listen to regularly and then i usually keep a lot of videos and a few podcast and a number of pictures... but i am awful with tech because i always want the biggest and the best haha it's an awful habit...

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I have an 8GB and feel it has plenty of space. Have a 16GB Touch, and it is very roomy. Its all about making playlists. The iPhone isn't going to be anywhere near the size of an iPod Classic anytime soon, so it isn't wise to think of it as a device that is going to hold all of your media.

Don't expect a 64GB. Unless you want to dish out a lot of cash...

3. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

My iPod touch 16gb is fine for me, I like you, have roughly 5gb of songs I listen to regularly, I have some photos, and some podcasts on there, and still have loads of room spare. How 16gb would suit once the app store is open is another issue, I have no idea what to expect file size wise with apps, obviously they will all vary, but it could seriously eat into the space, especially if you plan to keep games etc on it too.

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

If the apps are equivalent in size to what is currently available through the AppTapp Installer or Cydia, you don't have to worry. They hardly take up any space. Most are well under a MB and the biggest I've seen are only a few MBs

5. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Well that's good news, thank you.
    Do you think the games (from the big companies) are more likely to be the biggest file sizes? What do you reckon these could be size wise?

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I bump my head on the 16GB ceiling a bit. 32GB would be nice.

7. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

at first i got a 4gb iphone the weekend they came out. it was enough for a couple playlists and a movie. i got an 8gb the other month and it was great for 2 or 3 movies, a few shows, and more playlists. i just got my 16gb in on monday and i have about 6 movies, a bunch of shows, and a lot more music.
    i have a 5g 60gb ipod which has 5gb free space and a 2g 1gb shuffle for the gym.
    the iphone will never replace my full sized ipod in terms of storing all my music, but i will admit the 16gb is really nice compared to the 8gb (and especially the 4gb) because i can hold more random stuff that i might not be in the mood for right then and there, but sometime i might be and it will be on it. the problem with smaller sized ipods is having to constantly rotate/edit the music you have on it.
    i guess a 32gb would be nice, but i don't need that much space on a backup ipod.

8. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I had a 30 gig ipod video and went down to a 16gb ipod touch with no storage issues, then i bought a 8gb iphone and since you said that you have sorted your music to your most listened you should have no problems.

9. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

What about me? I have 600 GB's of music... Hurry up and be able to hold my collection iPhone!!!

10. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

It's all about streamlining your music. Changing it up. I was opposed to downsizing from a regular ipod, but now I love it. It's not cluttered with a bunch of stuff I don't listen to on a regular basis.

And 600gb, c'mon man, how much of that do you actually listen to? In reality I only cycle a couple of albums a week, of course then there are the albums I keep on there for good measure, ones that are good to fall back on.

Plus I went through the daunting task of converting everything to AAC, it really frees up a fair amount of space. I went from 18gigs down to 15 just by making everything uniform.

11. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

I have all my music, two movies (dvds form iTunes) and two TV shows and have 4GB free, I doubt I'll move to a 32GB if that model is released, within 2 years

12. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

A lot has to do with how much music and movie swap-a-roo you're willing to take care of. Once you get used to handling the playlist options for what goes on and off the iPhone it isn't bad, but 16GB can be a bit tough. My itunes music library is only about 75GBs but I obviously don't need a lot of that in my day to day. I'm more interested in shuffling a few favorite albums on and off from time to time and keeping fresh podcasts on there.

Another way of putting it: it would be nice to have a 32GB iPhone but you get used to the 16GBs of space. If, as some have guessed, the cost for a 32GB is $599 while the same phone in all other categories is 16GBs at $499 I probably won't spend $100 for the space.

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

The cost of a 32GB iPhone is going to be way too prohibitive for me. And I definitely wouldn't drop the $ on a 64GB (which I highly doubt is coming soon) . I'd rather spend a little more and get a new Macbook.

14. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

you're.. you're... you're a monster!

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

I believe this is sarcasm. I hope this is sarcasm. Unless you are a serious collector of live concerts or something... Even with uncompressed FLAC, it would take about 600 Grateful Dead concerts to fill that kind of space. With typical MP3...only about 375 straight days of music...hahah...

Of course, he could be like a guy I used to know who seemed to be determined to collect every song ever recorded. Everyone he met, he wanted to copy their music. Didn't care what it was, just wanted it.

16. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

meh - i have 49GBs of music - 8GB is fine, i just have to change the play lists every now and again

pac

17. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Exactly! I've come to really enjoy making playlists, smart and otherwise. For whatever reason I find I listen to more of the content than when I had twice the GBs with my Touch. I rotating my music and videos. Keeps it fresh.

18. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Well right now it's +- half Karaoke... so maybe only 300 or so of music. DJ, that's why.

19. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

My music collection's over 100GB, but since I only really realistically listen to like 10GB at a time, 16GB does me, definitely. Also it's more of an experience to change the music on there more regularly because I end up listening to more of it. (Someone else mentioned this here before? Heh)

However if you're one of those people that need the biggest and newest.. well you've answered your question already.. you're a slave to your own wants :D

EDIT: My ex boyfriend had over 800GB of music

20. davedray macrumors newbie

It is fine, playlists become key. Sometimes I forget to move a new song to my iPhone, once I do, all is fine. The way I see it, my iPhone is for my every day stuff, (my fav songs and podcasts), while my 60 gig iPod Video is for me to bring along most of my iTunes files.

Also, I have a random smart playlist. Do you know if this changes each time I sync? I think think it is... It would be awsome if that was the case.

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've been making playlists since Macworld SF '08 and then transferring them every so often. It's pretty easy, quick, and painless. Same with the Movies, I just transfer two or three at a time. :cool:

22. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I need 32GB as I keep movies for the kids on the phone (hook up to car video). I have found a format that is DVD quality for ATV, but also syncs to iPhone and plays perfect (see sticky on ATV forum). Since my files run from 2.5Gb to 3.5Gb depending on quality of movie I need the extra space so I don't have to maintain two files.

23. drb6 macrumors regular

It all depends on what your habits are. Me, I have 14 gigs of music that grows regularly. Lots of podcasts, but only because I haven't been catching up to them. But otherwise I usually delete once I listen to them. Videos and movies some, but most people don't need too many at a time.

Yet, I will get the 32g if it comes out because I know I wont have time to do playlists and anticipate what I might want to listen to that day. Usually I look for a specific song or album at that moment or shuffle.

And more importantly, I'm not going to have another separate ipod for this stuff, my current one is 20gb which I'm giving to my mother. So for longer trips, I won't have to worry. And I commute to work on the train, 2 hours a day so ideally for me that extra 100 dollars gives me flexibility and room to grow.