16gb the fastest to sell out of launch supply?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1105, Sep 11, 2014.

?

Best plan of attack

1. Yes, go for both on the same order

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Yes, enough time for two separate orders

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. They're be gone too fast to get both

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. 1105 macrumors newbie

I'll be getting a 64gb standard and expect these to last longer due to price, but, someone who isn't very tech savy, is looking to get a 16gb so they asked if I could put an order for them since they'd probably be in 2015 shipment by the time they got through.

Based on previous experience, does 16gb go the quickest? Barring a last second connection breakdown, should there be time to get two orders submitted in time for the first shipment if I go for the 16 first and 64 second?

FTR: Both will be contract free purchases if that makes any difference.

2. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I can't imagine the 16gb will be the first to go this time. I'd think the 64gb would be the first to go this time around.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

A few different variables have to be accounted for here:
    • The 16gb model is the cheapest model so most price conscious people who want an iPhone are just going to get that.
    • I'm sure Apple knows that and places a higher order for the 16gb model because it is generally the most
    • But this year things are a bit different with the 64gb model being the second tier option. Quite a few people who wouldn't have paid the extra $100 previously probably will now because it's a better value. That'll pull some sales away from the 16gb model and move them to the 64gb model
    • This year there are two models that people actually care about (yes, that was a cheap shot at the 5c) so the orders will be split again between the 6 and 6 Plus
    Really since a few things are different this year, who knows what'll happen? Though my guess would be that the 16gb model will still sell out first because it's the cheapest, despite the differences this year vs past years.

4. rainking macrumors regular

64GB is the best bang for your buck. I predict that will sell out first.

5. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Agreed, I have a poll going and in both the 6/6+ models it seems to be the most popular in the macrumors users' who have voted thus far.

6. bryancee macrumors regular

64GB should sell out first. Much better deal IMO.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

This is MacRumors, though. General public would likely opt for the cheapest iPhone in the physical size they prefer. That said, I do wonder if availability of the 6 Plus would be similar to the Gold 5s last year.

8. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

64gb will sell out first. It's the best value.

Apple always has an excess of the entry-level models, especially for AT&T. Unless you want a gold one, I bet the 16gb models will be easy to find.

9. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

I also think that 64GB is sell out first, because most of people like to go with 32GB and apple gives 64GB in a price of 32GB so i think there will be more demand of 64GB iPhone 6.

10. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Yeah, the general public probably isn't staying up 'til midnight/3AM to buy a phone either though.

I don't think we'll see gold shortages this year. Last year was a fluke since it was a new color and people wanted something different/to show off.

The 6+, I do worry about how many Apple has available.

11. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

16Gb could be more popular(i don't think it will), but I highly doubt it will sell out first tonight. Anyone waiting to midnight to order is a diehard fan, no way would the people be ordering a 16GB in numbers tonight:)

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

IDK. With the 64GB you are paying $100 for an additional 48GB. With the 128GB you are paying $200 for an additional 112GB.

Price per GB would state that the 128GB is the best bang for your buck, no?

13. killawat macrumors 65816

huh? I've ordered the minimum capacity phone every time since the 1st Gen and that's either in line or online.

14. EW800 macrumors 6502

I'd bet the mortgage that the 64GB goes down first.

15. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Generally, the cheapest price is the first to go. That is how it is with event tickets too. Everyone just wants to get in the door, so I believe the 16 GB will be the first to go.

16. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Wow, one person of millions! You ordering another 16 GB tonight?

17. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

That's true enough. Then again, aside from the Gold version, supply was plentiful enough that almost all models were available to ship in 24 hours a couple of hours after the Apple Store was back up. Even around 7AM, I seem to recall availability still counted in days rather than weeks. I don't think the 6 is going to run out that quickly although I can't say the same of the 6+.