16gb touch or Nokia N810?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mekkakat, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Mekkakat macrumors newbie

I want this little thing for mostly the mobile web and videos. A little music is fine, but overall, I really want to be able to browse the web with some decent web browsing abilities, and tbh, no flash is just garbage. I have a guy who wants to sell me a 2nd gen touch for $200, and its hard to pass up, but I don't want to be trapped with iTunes (which i dont like) and some really bad battery life too.

the N810 is 350, which doesnt break the bank, and does everything I want my handheld for sure, but the internal memory is much smaller, so i'll have to buy some making the price go up even more. so its like.. what.. suffer with the touch or pay 400 for a MID.. idk.. what do you guys think (and please, no fanboys).

2. nxent macrumors 6502

sounds like you made up your mind.. what do you need us for? last i heard there were rumblings about flash eventually making it's way to touch and iphone from adobe but no clue as to when. then there's the app store... "pandora"... outstanding app-

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I don't know why anybody wouldn't ;) , but if you don't like iTunes I wouldn't suggest getting an iPod Touch.

iTunes is an integral component for normal "un jailbroken" iPod touch, and an essential component in getting data to and from the iPod for most people's daily uses. However as a device to be used as a stand-alone web browser, you could potentially never need to connect to iTunes (with the exception of updates).

[​IMG]

4. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Well the features you get with the 810 will be more than the touch. The touch man function is movies and music. The 810 was built to browse. I personally like the ipod touch cause of the nice apps it has. But as posted I think you already know your answer

5. Mekkakat thread starter macrumors newbie

well no, i really haven't made up my mind. the touch is considerably cheaper, and will have a lot more memory than the n810, which more or less has no internal mem. $400 as opposed to 200 looks good in itself, but on top of that, i have have a EEE 900HA that i use for a lot of my mobile browsing, but i could really use something a little smaller, thus n810 or touch... idk.. its seriously a hard choice for me. if we did get flash for the touch, would that mean new touches, or an upgrade? i can't see the current touches having enough power to blast through flashes.. what do you guys think?

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Have you looked into this comparison? The processor speed and RAM are apparently the same between the 810 and the iPod, so if the 810 can run flash well, than likely the iPod will too. The iPod also has the iPhone OS, Core Animation, and quartz graphics support. If these features are utilized by Flash, it may give the iPod touch the edge in streamlined integration of animation and images using flash.

Still a tough choice though.

[​IMG]

7. Mekkakat thread starter macrumors newbie

exactly why its so hard to choose for me.. i could pay less.. but wait and possibly get flash support (my luck stupid apple will make you just flat out buy a new product for it..).. or.. just get the one that actually works and pay a bit more.. not to mention the archos 5 outdoes the touch any day as well.. idk.. apple never held my eye for longer than a blink (just in design), and while i'll admit i'm a strong advocate of PCs, i just really want to believe the touch is finally the first thing from apple worth buying.. (imo)

8. unclezeke macrumors newbie

Try before you buy

I strongly recommend using the N810 before deciding.

I have an N810 and an iPhone and I find that the iPhone browser is far better than the N810's.

The N810 requires that you use a stylus, but the real problem is that it's a pain to resize pages for readability on the small screen. Mobile Safari's multitouch interface handles this in a way that is easy and intuitive. The difference, I swear, is night & day. A couple of minutes with the N810 leaves me raging at its clumsiness and the iPhone is just plain fun to surf with, especially via wifi.

Spend time with both and try to put the N810 through a real-world use test of your favorite sites. This is not something that can be decided by examining the specs.