16gb vs 32 gb Ipad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by volntitan, Mar 7, 2012.

1. volntitan macrumors 6502

So I'll definately be getting the 3 and upgrading from my ipad 1. The iPad I have now, I have 32 gb and since I don't have music on there, I only use about 10gb of the storage even with a couple of movies on it. So I was wondering if I should go for the 16gb and use the extra money for accessories like the HDMI, styles, etc. But with the possible upgrade in display and power, will I be cutting my self short since apps and such might require more storage? I apologize if this is a stupid question...

2. Neous macrumors member

Neous

you should go for the biggest storage you can afford.
    go for the 32gb

3. MAGNUStm macrumors member

Agreed. I had a 16gb iPad 1 and stuck with the same for iPad 2; however I quickly realized I needed more storage. I traded up to a 32gb shortly after launch... I'm considering going 64gb for the 3 just not I have the funds to do so at launch time.

4. SammyDFG macrumors member

had 16, def needed a lil more so going with a 32

5. lindros2 macrumors newbie

DEF go with 32GB

I returned a 16GB iPad 2 within two days and went to the 32GB.

Music and videos aside, it helps to have breathing room for other content and apps.

Some games are approaching 1GB.

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Go 32GB.

I actually had a 64GB iPad 2 (but then I sold it) and never came close to filling it up (mainly because I used Pandora for music and Netflix for videos). I think 32GB is the sweet spot.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

Something to consider: Photos/Video/"HD" App Sizes

- Better camera means bigger photos (I know, "Nobody" uses the camera but if its good you might)
    - Better camera means bigger Videos
    - iTunes might offer 1080p which means bigger video files
    - Encoding your own files will be optimized to higher res which means bigger video files
    - Apps that are optimized for a higher pixel density might be larger

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

My wife picked up an iPhone 4S (her first smartphone) and she called me as she was about to pull the trigger on the 16GB. I told her to go to 32GB as a minimum. She has no music or video on her iPhone but she takes tons of photos and video and has just hit her storage ceiling (she just asked me if there was a way to get photos from her phone to her iMac because it wouldn't let her take more pictures).

So, yes, 32GB is a practical minimum.

9. falcora macrumors 6502

I have a 16, but it's been 95% full since the day I got it. I'm definately going 32 this time around. Maybe even 64 depending on the pricing.

10. Built macrumors 68020

11. Dorje Sylas macrumors 6502

Having both a 64GB iPad and 64GB iPod Touch, both of which hover around 1/2 to 3/4 full, you really want a 32GB device minimum if you anticipate being away from a "home" computer for more then 48 hours at a stretch.

As others have said, the increase in display quality and likely boost in camera quality will mean images and video will take up more space if you want to get the full "Retina" effect.

IMO

16 = home use, frequent content swaps
    32 = some prolonged content, good "average" use
    64 = hard core packrat of content

Content = Apps, photos, video, music/audio.

12. IXDoubleDXI, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I've got a 32gb 4s and i'm thinking of getting a 16gb iPad 3 (maybe an iPad 2, depending on how cheap they get cut to at 2pm). Viewing photos shouldn't be a major issue for me due to using Photostream. The biggest thing for me would be games/videos. All will depend on pricing after the event, for me at least.

13. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks folks...will take your advice and go 32 gb. The iPad 1 I have was handed down to me when my father passed, so haven't gotten any accessories because until about 6-8 months ago, I wasn't really using it. Now it has replace my laptop almost except for file creation and heavier stuff. I def. want to buy the HDMI adapter when I get the 3, but any other accessories (other than case) I should look into ordering when I order the 3? Thanks for the help again!!!