16GB with two 8GB Dimms $128 plus $8 shipping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarwinOSX, Feb 6, 2012.

1. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I have used TransIntl, they have been around for a while. Good RAM, decent support.

3. shanimal macrumors member

would a boost from 8gb to 16gb be huge if you just play WoW, web browse, plau music/movies, and some light photo editing with PS, ID, and AI? gotta return a SSD so that gives me $177 to get somethign with. i was holding off cause when i looked at crucial their 16gb tram was like $250 and thast crazy.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Doubt it - How much multitasking do you do? Have you tracked how much RAM you currently use?

5. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

You'd be fine sticking with 8GB in all honesty. You could be running all of those programs at once and most likely wouldn't use all of the 8GB under those circumstances.

6. shanimal macrumors member

Ok, cool. I dont do much multitasking, i guess. ill have WoW (64 bit client), itunes, firefox, and mailplane usually open at the same time. The most i have seen is 7.5 gb used, but i dont track exactly how much i have used. only reason i know how much i used at a given time is if i need to force close an app thats not responding (almost never) and i see at the bottom of my activity monitor. is there a widget that i can put on my dashboard so i can easily check with just a three-fingered swipe?

7. VTMac macrumors 6502

Has anybody tried this ram? I decided to give it a go. Should be here Thursday, so maybe I'll be the guinea pig.

8. VTMac macrumors 6502

Well I received and installed these chips and they work great. Passed apple hardware test extended test several times. Working great during normal use. So this appears to be another good option for those needing 16gb.

9. eswank macrumors 6502

I'm planning to purchase an early 2011 2.3GHz 17" uMBP from MacMall and was planning to upgrade to 16GB but didn't want to go all out on OWC. I've considered the other brands. So my question is what are you guys using to test the memory to make sure they're working correctly?

10. Bluedog54 macrumors member

I just installed 8GB of 1600 MHz RAM in my early 2011 2.3GHz 15" MBP. Your purchase will run well with the speedier RAM as well. It's unlikely I'll ever need more than 8 GB of RAM, so I'm more interested in the faster RAM versus more memory (16GB). YMMV :)

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

'I have Techtool Pro, I'll run it through an overnight test pass sometimes, but frankly, I tend to put it in andd not worry about diagnostics unless I get something like a subsequent kernel panic or some such indicator.

12. devinesZ macrumors newbie

OP...how is the memory working out for you? I'm pulling the trigger this week on some 16gb, 1600. Thanks