16gb x2 SoDimms DDR3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spoonie1972, Nov 26, 2015.

1. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

So I noticed that 16gb SoDimms are now available in DDR3 format.

How far back can one go? Has anyone seen testing, or tested them for themselves, in Ivy/Sandy Bridge machines? I have an old 2012 and would absolutely love it if I could fill it with 32gb ram.

Assuming they work at all, would heat be an issue?

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

I would be surprised if the motherboard of a 2012 MBP supported 32GB of RAM. Laptop motherboards that support 32GB of RAM are rare and usually only found on workstations like Dell Precisions, HP Elitebooks and Lenovo Thinkpad W series.

3. spoonie1972 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only hope I hold out is that the Sandy/Ivy chipsets were stated to support 32gb. I guess we'll have to wait for the testing, a few older PC's apparently work just fine with these new chips, but the mac firmware is probably pickier.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Normally they support 32GB RAM because they've got 4 RAM slots rather than 2. The CPU itself in the 2012 15" MBP can support that much RAM. If 16GB SODIMMs work on the Logic Board (don't see why not, as 8GB ones did when they weren't officially supported or tested), then you could well get 32GB RAM.

Best to wait for iFixit/Every Mac/PowerBook Medic to confirm though :)

5. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

That is true. I have a Dell Precision M4600 (Sandy Bridge) and it has 4 RAM slots. With the Dell Precision, only the quad core i7 can take advantage of the 32GB RAM. I don't know how it works for the others.

OP, you should buy the 16GB sticks and let us know if it works. I am curious too :D

6. spoonie1972 thread starter macrumors 6502a

:D

I emailed macsales/owc and asked if they're testing them. I have the i7… so here's to hoping!

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I see some 16GB 1600MHz SODIMMs on Amazon but they're saying they're apparently only compatible on the new 27" Retina. If I had the cash I'd certainly be tempted to try, and then max out this baby if it works.

Imagine it ... 32GB RAM, 2x2TB SSDs in RAID, maybe even throw the top spec MLB in there for extra CPU & GPU horsepower — more for bragging rights than necessity, mind. My 15" 2.3GHz/16GB/1TB SSD hasn't ever missed a beat, I absolutely love it.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

The processors on the 2012's and I believe on the 2011's as well supports 32GB. I'm not certain the chipset does.

RAM quantity has absolutely zero effect on heat output.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sandy Bridge and newer Intel CPUs have the memory controller built into the die. I don't think the chipset plays much of a role here anymore.

10. spoonie1972 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got a reply from OWC… frankly it doesn't sound like anyone has tried it. Feels like a form "technical" reply.

Thank you for contacting OWC.

The maximum memory that your machine will support is 16GB, so the newer modules will function in your machine. The clock speed of the module is 1866mhz and is not compatible with your machine.

Please reply back to this message if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you again for contacting OWC.

11. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

The clock speed shouldn't be the problem and there are also 1600 MHz SO-DIMMs with 16 GB from Crucial I think.

My MBP Late 2011 what came with 1333 MHz RAM and an older chipset is able to run 2 x 4 GB at 1866 MHz (taken from my new iMac) and also the 2 x 8GB at 2133 MHz which I bought to replace the iMac RAM.

But I don't know if 2 x 16 GB that are compatible to the iMac might work in my MBP too.

12. spoonie1972 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yah, I don't take that reply as someone who has tried to do it and failed, more someone who looked at a spec sheet and guessed.

13. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

LOL - so will function but is incompatible??? Hedging their bets I think.