16gig iPhone in white or black??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsnevo, Feb 8, 2009.

1. itsnevo macrumors member

This next friday I'm planning on buying a new 16gig iPhone and I am trying to decide between the black or white color. Unfortunately everyone I know that has an iPhone has a black 8gig, so I haven't seen how well a white iPhone holds up in comparison. I'm am going to get a case for it but I don't know which one hides scratches and dirt better.

Which color do you have and how well has it held up against scratches and wear and tear?

Which color would you suggest getting to hold up the best?

[​IMG]

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3. Madness macrumors regular

i was 100% with the white ... i didnt even think about the black one ... but after searching ... the white one didnt look so good ... so i went with the black one ... should be here tommorow :D

4. efice32 macrumors 6502

I would think the black one would show scratching more, but the white one would show dirt more. With a case on it you're going to get more dirt than scratching....I'd go with black.

Plus I'm a little biased because I have a black 16 gig.

5. Echleon macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar predicament to you... I really like the look of the white, but i'm uncertain about it's cosmetic longevity. This is what I have gathered from looking on here and other forums.

• Black shows finger smudges fairly easy which harms its look abit, White does not show this.
    • White seems to be more prone to cracks for some reason.
    • White could turn yellow over time.
    • White will show scratches more easily as black dirt will get in the scratches - this obviously isn't an issue with the Black.

I'm still unsure. I'm thinking an invisible shield could cure most of the cosmetic dilema's with the White.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

With a case it doesn't exactly matter does it?

7. tnisatard macrumors 6502

i think the white looks nicer, but its proned to cracks, so id get the black

its not like black looks ugly also

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Prone*, and they both get cracks equally the same. The white just happens to show them better than the black. Another reason to get black.

9. itsnevo thread starter macrumors member

Well, I have a hard clear case on my iPod and I also have that protective film on the front and rear of the iPod and I really like that clear hard style of case, but I have noticed some wear on the iPod itself from the case it was in.

I too really like the white too, but I'm afraid of the wear issues.

10. itsnevo thread starter macrumors member

Where are the major areas on the phone where you notice the most wear?

11. pandyzinho macrumors newbie

go black

i have a black 16 gig and use the invisishield. so scratches and dirt aren't a problem even without a case.
    i've found the iphone 3g to be a lot tougher than expected.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have the white one and it has been dropped from a bar onto a floor and just last week it fell from my hands onto the pavement and bounced then rolled then slid. The case is scratched but that is why I have a case. :p

I like the white. It was just slightly different than the black. Either way AT&T will suck hard regardless of the color so I'd go with whichever you think you can live with.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got the 16GB White and the War Department has the 16GB Black and most of the wear is on the back of the iPhone and the scratches and scrapes are pretty noticeable, but with InvisibleShield it's flawless...

14. itsnevo thread starter macrumors member

That is true, the black iPhone seems to be the one I see most often. I have many family members with AT&T and so far they love it, so hopefully I have the same type of experience.

15. itsnevo thread starter macrumors member

Would anyone know if the black and white covers are molded in that color plastic or is it a certain color plastic that is painted over?

16. Resist macrumors 68030

Just like with car colors, white will always show dirt and scratches less than black, especially gloss black.

Now if they made a flat black for the iPhone, then I would be all over it.

17. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

i have a white iphone, love the look, and honestly it doesnt show much wear, they are both the same plastic, so when it comes down to it i think its a matter of preference white or black.....i say white

18. itsnevo thread starter macrumors member

I'm really tempted to go with the white. I just hope that the white is actually molded in white plastic so if you do get a scratch it doesn't stand out really really bad. (not that I am planning on throwing the phone around)

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

20. Resist macrumors 68030

Yes the material is white plastic, not painted white.

21. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I have black; my wife has white. I can't tell the difference in terms of wear or age or anything else. It really just comes down to personal preference because there is no difference in the phones other than color. They are made of the same materials.

22. shvartsies macrumors regular

white ftw even though a 32 gb will be dropping on Tuesday and it might be red. In that case, red ftw.

23. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Huh??!
    Who says there is another iPhone coming, let alone a red iPhone?

24. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Pipe dream phrased as fact.

25. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

No one.
    But here's one.