16gig or 8gig for gaming? Alaskan needs help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AKfreeRider, Jun 16, 2012.

1. AKfreeRider macrumors newbie

Hello,

So I currently have a 2004 macbook. The thing is on it's last legs and I'm in desperate need of one of these new RMBPs. Here is the issue, I am an Alaskan living in Seattle. If I show my Alaska ID at checkout, I don't have to pay sales tax. This saves me 250 bucks. Unfortunately, I plan on using this computer for a long time (just like my last one), so I want the 16 gigs of ram. That means I have to order it, and after 45 min on the phone, apple decided they will not let me "show" my ID over the phone.

So I hear there are some RMBPs coming into the store today... they will be base models, but I would save the 250 on sales tax. My question is, do you think I will be alright with "just" 8gigs (current computer has 512mb!). But seriously, I will be using the rmbp for a long time. It will be used for school, work, and whatever games blizzard decides to create in the next 5 years (a little optimistic for a laptop, but so what). So, currently that would be diablo 3. Think the 8 gigs will be sufficient for gaming and retina apps in the next 3-4 years? Maybe 5. Or should I fire up a fax machine and start sending apple copies of my ID w/ tax exempt forms until they return fire with a computer.

Also, considering this was deemed "the least repairable laptop ever", I'm not very optimistic about cheap ram upgrade procedures in the future.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'd say go 16gb. Your last MacBook was bought 8 years ago. Let's say you go another few years with it... maybe the 8GB is enough now, but in 3 years, probably not. The RAM isn't user-upgradable.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why don't you just go to U Village and pick on up there?

4. AKfreeRider thread starter macrumors newbie

Been calling them every day. They said they don't have them. Also... they will only be getting the base models. Which brings me back to the question, will 8 gigs be enough.

5. hfm57 macrumors newbie

8gigs is enough for the next couple years. Just shut down other apps before gaming.