16MB of RAM on 21.5 Baseline iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eloh, Nov 8, 2009.

1. eloh macrumors member

I tried to find a straight answer for this in the forum but was not successful.

Here is the deal...Apple will only sell the 21.5 inch iMacs with a max of 8GB of RAM. However, they say they are going to give you 4x2GB sticks. If I use my head, what is stopping me from sticking 4GB of cruical or whoever elses RAM into those 4 slots and having 16GB of Ram on my 21.5 baseline iMac.

Until now, I was telling my self that I could only get 16GB of RAM into the 27" model. Is that still true or am I correct in my assement above. If so, that pulls me further away from the 27" and closer to the 21.5" as I would prefer to spend the extra money on the 3.33 processor and a Time Capsule.

Thanks for the help on this one!

2. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

According to the Spec sheet http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html you should be able to put four 4 GB sticks in the 21.5 incher for a total of 16 GB. The question would be why? If you have a program that needs that much memory it probably needs more cpu & io power than this imac has. Plus, at this time, those 4 sticks will cost you more than the imac did.

3. eloh thread starter macrumors member

Perfect!

Perfect! Thanks for the response.

You may be correct about not needing 16GB (definetly not right now). If what you say is correct then the 27" model having the same Core 2 Duo chip may not benefit from 16GB of RAM either, the only difference being the screen size. (yes the GPU is different but that doesnt count here, actually makes a better case for needing less RAM). That is very good to know.

I wouldn't buy those sticks right now anyway...it's just good to know for the future. I don't want to feel like I need to buy another one of these in 18 months. Hoping to get at least 3 years. I know the I7's are marching in but hopefully any new OS, iLife, or iWork will not need a Quad core to run smoothly. I am more concerned about moving to a future version of Logic Studio though.

Thanks for your help on this.