17" 2.16 GHz Core Duo MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by martychang, Oct 19, 2007.

1. martychang macrumors regular

I've decided on a Macbook Pro for university: there are a couple refurbs of this model on Apple's site for $1,999, an attractive drop in price from what a new one would cost. I don't strictly need the difference between an 8600GT and a X1600. I can upgrade it to 2 GB myself(I understand the new ones will go to 4).

My question: is this a bad deal? I know Core Duo means 32-bit, and I understand there's a fair performance difference between a Core Duo and Core 2 Duo of the same GHz speed. Also, I assume yes but did the 17" Core Duo MBPs have the 1680 x 1050 standard resolution?

Last, heat. I haven't seen many people post about heat on their Core Duos, but I seem to remember Core Duos run a lot cooler than Core 2 Duos. If the heat situation with Core Duos is significantly better that would affect my purchase, so anyone with a Core Duo Apple portable, especially a 17" MBP could you post some temp readouts?

Thanks in advance!

2. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

I have a 15" Core Duo and I have no complaints about heat. I've used my friend's core 2 duo and I don't really notice a speed difference.

*shrug*

plus they have better luck with screens. :)

3. martychang thread starter macrumors regular

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I have had mine since June 06 and had no real issues so far. I had to get the battery replaced through Applecare and my screen is starting to lose brightness and bleed from the bottom edge more noticeable, but only when I am looking for it (for now).

I run photoshop/illustrator/indesign cs3 along with adium/mail/random program simultaneously quite often with 2gb ram and the comp handles it very well. Temps don't get outrageous cause I fire up the fans with smcfancontrol before it gets hot when I know I am going to load it (65-70ºC).

So if money is the main reason you are looking at this refurb, and you dont need what the newer models offer, go for it.

5. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I was gonna go with the 2.16ghz mbp but i ended up getting the 2.33ghz refurbished. Love it if you have the extra cash go for the 2.33 if not get the 2.16 with 2gb ram(upgrade)