17" 2.33 3gb or 15.4" 2.2 2gb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amoda, Jun 16, 2007.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

So i've been looking to update my old mbp for a while now and finally sold it last week. I've been waiting for our Apple campus store to get the new 2.2's in stock. Meanwhile I started looking around and found someone on kijiji selling a 17" 2.33 C2D, 3gb, 160gb HD for ~$2400. Now my original choice was one of the low end 15.4"s, and after selling the ipod and factoring in the student discount it would have cost me ~$2100.

Now what would you suggest? The 17 or 15"? Is SR & the LED that important? For me i'd rather have the one that's faster in day to day life. If i import like 5Gb of music, the 17" would be done faster right? But the 15" would do better 3D stuff but not day to day stuff right? Or would they be pretty much the same in both catagories given the faster FSB for the 15" and double the Vram on the 17"?

Sorry i know that there's a lot of questions in those 2 paragraphs but any help will do. Thanks!

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

DOnt forget HDD speed is involved too...

If I was you, I would get the SR MBP. the extra mhz from the last gen is outweighed by the FSB (almost)

Also, with your HE discount, you get 3 yrs of warrenty

3. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Both harddrives are 5400rpm. Yeah I was thinking that it might. I don't know what HE is, isn't that the thing to do with British Universitie's deal with Apple or something along that line? (I'm in Canada eh) But anyways I don't think i qualify for HE, since I bought my last mbp from my campus store and I still only got 1 year warranty.

4. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for bumping this thread so soon but it's kinda urgent. The owner of the 17" says that there people interested in it and if i don't give him a definitve answer by tomorrow he'll go elsewhere. I'm just trying to get as many people input and expertise before making a decision. Btw: it's 2am, so by tomorrow i mean like...in 8hs.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I will go for the 15".

That 17" most likely has issues, and there are tons of 17" MBPs out there with patchy/blotchy backlighting.

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

HE is Higher Education... try purchasing directly from Apple, you will get your proper discount then.

Eitehr way, get the 15"

7. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Here is some benchmarks to show the difference between the 2.2GHz 15" LED MacBook Pro and 2.33GHz 17" MacBook Pro in some apps.
    Note: The benchmarks are near the middle of the page.

8. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'd go with that option. Partially because you're never quite sure what problems a second-hand machine would have wrong with it. Also a 17" refurb from Apple would only cost you $2,299 (USD) and that would have a full year warranty included.

9. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well thanks to all of your guys help I went out and ordered my new mbp! It's a standard 2.2mbp with glossy screen! Should arrive within the week and now i'm stoked! Thank you all for your help!