17" 2.3GHz MacBook Pro 2011, 240Gb Vertex 3, 8Gb....Storage help....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpitUK, Apr 9, 2011.

1. SpitUK macrumors 6502

Hi Guys, going to sell my iMac and move to the MBP as my main machine. Got the spec sorted just need advice on storage. The 240Gb SSD will be fantastic for all my programs, work files etc. The problem is my itunes media folder which is about 600Gb. How do I store that? I need to keep the optical drive so not interested at all in swapping that out.

External HDD is an option but that means files are only available when the MBP is on.
    What about a NAS drive? never used one but are they suitable?

I have an ATV2 which I use linked to my itunes folder. I also have the Apple Airport Extreme. I do not need my music with me as I have that on my iPhone and iPad 2.

Anyone else sorted a similar problem?

2. smoak888 macrumors newbie

Get a NAS. I have the QNAP T435 series and it is awesome. Great mac integration. super fast. no problems. has built in itunes server so it delivers my entire music library on all my macs/pc in my house as well as my HTPC (mac mini). plus i store all my blu ray movies on it and it can stream 1080p to like 4 tvs in my house at the same time. it is awesome. easy raid set up and easy maintence. there are you tube videos on it as well.

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

NAS = winning

I often have an external on me or at my work/school/home/etc., but I use a LOT of different externals and it can be frustrating; I can't use any other method though unfortunately, and IMO carrying an external with something you use a lot like music will drive you insane. I keep about 20GB+/- of my most common media files on my SSD, although I use them less and less frequently thanks to Pandora.

You may be interested in the larger size/lower cost Intel drives, but they are not as fast as the Vertex 3 (at least in Benchmarks but real world performance is debated).

If you can get by with a 128, the Apple upgrade is like $100 bucks more and it is very, very fast. You can't get a SSD for anywhere near that amount. Oddly, once you go to 256GB, Apple's SSDs go from bargain basement to Ritz Carlton price wise.