17" 2.8 Core 2 Duo for $1,149, Go or No-go?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr.thetank, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Mr.thetank macrumors newbie

Folks,

Hello, newbie to the forum; I've been teetering on pulling the trigger on a MBP for a while now. I've wanted one for even longer, but no justification to buy existed.

Anyhow, I was about to go all in on a refurb'd 15" MBP on the Apple Store; however, I was helping a buddy w/ a flatscreen purchase today at BestBuy, and on the floor was a 17" MBP (MC 226LL /A) for $1,149. It was a return/open box deal, and its been there under 2 weeks. Still looks brand spanking new.

I'm having some second thoughts on how to proceed - unfortunately, they said that it is NOT eligible for AppleCare, but is eligible for a Geeksquad extended warranty.

This seems like a serious deal, and it's everything I want in a new MBP (are the new models worth the extra change, for a non-intensive user - photoshop, web, music, photos, no games), but I'm looking for a little confirmation.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    FM

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I prefer things new, so I know that there's for sure nothing wrong with the item I'm going to buy, but if you are on a budget, I'd say get the 17" they have on the floor. Considering the new 17" costs $2500.00, $1149.00 seems like a great deal.

AppleCare, I think, is expensive and overrated. Just be careful with your Mac, and you should have no need for that.

3. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

4. SidBala macrumors 6502a

GET IT.

Even if you don't plan to use it, buy it and sell it on CL and make a profit.:D

5. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Hah. Seems like a typical Best Buy sales tactic to me. Of course, they want you to buy the Geek Squad warranty because they profit more from it. Check the serial number of the machine with the online tool. If the machine hasn't exceeded its 1-year factory warranty, you can still buy AppleCare, regardless of what Best Buy tells you.

7. patrick92260 macrumors member

I actually bought this exact same 17" MBP at my local Best Buy a few weeks ago for $1315 which I thought was an awesome deal. It was the same situation as yours, an open-box MBP.

If I were you, BUY IT NOW! here's why: Best Buy won't tell you this because they want you to buy the Geek Squad warranty, however because Best Buy is an authorized Apple reseller if you email your receipt to Apple they will change your warranty date to give you a full year from when you bought it! This is what they did with mine 2 weeks ago. Now I have a full year to buy AppleCare on it! (Just enter your serial number on Apple's site and then click update warranty info.)

Next if you have any concerns about the computer take it to an authorized Apple tech shop (not the Genius Bar) and they will run a full diagnosis on the MBP for free if it is under warranty to let you know if it has any issues.

8. amoda macrumors 6502a

I was in your shoes just a month ago. I actually walked into BestBuy ready to buy a new 15" i5, but left with the 17" 2.8 C2D floor model.

The laptop is under warranty for a full year from the purchase date, so definitely don't listen to the person who told you otherwise. I had to send in a copy of my receipt for them to update my file, but it's a full year.

If you're like me at all, you'll sometimes wonder what the power of an i5 or i7 would be like; and especially when doing something CPU intensive. However, a 2.8 C2D is not a slow machine by an means. If this was a CD model or something I'd definitely would've gone for the i5, but this was the 2nd best processor you could get just a few months ago!

I, personally, think the money savings, coupled with benefits such as the 17" screen, 3rd usb port, great audio, express-card slot outweigh the around 20% benefit you might see in CPU intensive tasks.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...its the price of the base iMac and it gives you a large screen (pro or con depending on how much you want to lug it around)... but at least you have the option of taking it with you if you wanted to...