17" 2011 macbook pro, good deal or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gochi, Dec 14, 2012.

1. gochi macrumors 6502

early 2011 17" macbook pro

128gb SSD
    8GB ram
    quad i7
    boxes/manuals included
    mint condition

$1300

2. gochi thread starter macrumors 6502

c'mon folks, 173 views, 0 replies!

i guess not many 17"ier's in here?

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

That sounds like a winner.
    Are you sure legit?
    Because Mac2Sell has it for 1700USD.

4. gochi thread starter macrumors 6502

yes with reciept.

BUT, i already have a laptop, and don't really need a mac.

the questions is: is this a REALLY good deal, or could i get the same model next year for around the same price?

----------

just realized you owned a 17" too.

did you find the 128gb ssd to be really fast?

the new mb-r are using 3rd gen ssd's, do the 2011 also use the 3rd gen sata ssd?

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah this is a really good deal!
    And I have a 3rd party SSD, a Crucial M4.
    Im not sure if the guy selling it has a after market or the stock SSD from Apple.
    But yes the SSD is quite fast for mine. And add a Optibay if space is an issue.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I got the late 2011 17" in my sig for $1550 in July, and I was jumping for joy over it, then again it also had extended applecare. It had the stock 4 gb ram, 750 gb HDD when I bought it.

Think that's a helluva deal.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Mac2Sell isn't really usable as a sole point of reference. It's not often up to date, and I don't know how they calculate their pricing. They're typically not relevant to US pricing.

I wouldn't buy it if you don't actually need a notebook. The price is good. The low end version of the 15" from early 2011 is around $1200 refurbished. Something closer to those specs in a 15" is $1359 from Apple. Add $40 for 8GB of ram and maybe $100 for an ssd. This would be with a warranty. Yes it's higher. Mint just describes physical appearance. It doesn't mean nothing can go wrong, so please keep that in mind. Even then it's not actually a bad deal for someone who wants to use it. You seem to be asking if you could buy it and use it for a year without losing value. I highly doubt that. It might take $1500-1600, depending on how much someone wants it, but I doubt this is the only one you'll ever find in this price range. When the seller purchased it, it was likely well over $2000. I wouldn't count on it remaining above $1000 next year. By then at least some of the macbook airs should be pretty close in performance. The main appeal to the 17" models is for those that want the screen real estate in a notebook and a Mac. Those that wanted one for this reason likely made their purchases as soon as the model went EOL.

I just checked and Apple still asks $1900 refurbished for the 17" models. It's quite a bit more than the 15" models. I expect demand will diminish somewhat when rMBPs become available refurbished. They offer less screen real estate with the tradeoff of a nicer overall display.

8. gochi thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, that's refreshing to hear. i am going to offer the buyer $1000 now lol.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Good luck. I'm not sure whether you'll get that, but it's worth trying.