17" 2011 MBP 5 Key too Bright, 6 key too dim!,

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YoYoMa, Mar 1, 2011.

1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Same issue existed last year for the 17" models as well! For those of you that have recently received 17" MBP's, how evenly is your keyboard backlight on your 5 and 6 keys? I've requested a replacement from Apple but believe there's a very good chance that it'll have the same problem... Why is it so hard for them to get this right on the 17" models? I know it's minor, but I'd personally notice this more that a giant scratch on the lid.

2. robotvan1980 macrumors newbie

Before I sold my 2010 17 inch I looked it over carefully. I didn't notice any backlight issues. I'd say if the only issue you have is a few keys that don't have exactly the same lighting behind them you should just stick with the machine. These things are mass produced, millions of them a year. There are going to be minor imperfections.

3. ctucci macrumors regular

Generally...

Generally, I think as you do regarding mass production. But for a USD 2499 starting point, I think he may have a point.

And it dovetails nicely with the recent postings regarding teardown anomalies.

4. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, and even if it weren't, this really is a pretty big issue as far as cosmetic issues go. It's certainly more noticeable than a scratch or a small dent.

Can anyone else with 2011 17 inchers advise if they have this issue? I'd like to get a feel for the odds that the replacement will have the same issue as well.

5. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Already noted it on my "72 hours later" review.

6. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's the issue alright. I noticed it on the floor model at the Apple store as well. Anyone else? Lets keep this thread going. I had this issue last year with the 17" and I certainly don't want to have it again next year if I decide to upgrade. It seems every time I get an Apple computer nowadays I'm worried about what manufacturing issue it might have.:(

7. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

I have what I can only speculate is a single spec of dust in my LCD. It's definitely not a stuck pixel; there's no coloring. Don't think it's a dead pixel because it's not straight black, it's a gray color...might be a dead pixel though. Seems odd. Out of 6 MacBooks this is the first that has had a screen imperfection. Might keep an eye out for that. I may have to return mine to the Apple Store - but I really don't want to be in those stores longer than I have to. It's just really creepy with all those brats browsing Facebook and not actually buying anything. Apple Store has to have the most germs of any facility known to man - besides the Microsoft Store, of course.

The thing is, if I return it, and they can't get me one that has better backlighting, no screen imperfections, and will work with VZAccess Manager, I might very well be stuck going back to my old Big Apple, which I still have, and putting the near $3,000 back in the vault. As much as I enjoy the raw horsepower of the new MacBook Pro, I find that it really isn't that much stronger than Big Apple as far as the way I use it. Any real intensive stuff I can always delegate to the iMac.

8. Rayhab1 macrumors newbie

Rayhab1

Same here

I have exactly the same issue with my mid 2010 MBP. I'm currently talking with Apple to try to determine if this is a hardware or software issue. (If that makes any sense). They tell me if it has to be repaired the turn around time is 3 to 5 days. I was accustomed to having Dell come to my home to work on my system. Apple says they only do that for desktop models. MBP costs 3 time what the PC costs but service isn't nearly as good. Go figure.

:)

9. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like just one person has mentioned they have the backlight issue so far. Anyone else with a 2011 17 inch care to comment on their 5 and 6 key backlights? Maybe the issue isn't so bad and I'm just unlucky? The one in apple store had the issue as well so I assumed that most of the 17 inchers have it... Please post if yours has the issue or is evenly lit so we can get a sense of how wide spread the problem is.

10. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Remember, tons of people are gunning for that (in my opinion) POS 13". I see very few people buying the 17" because they think it's too big.

11. kjos8035 macrumors member

I would cut somebody if that happens on my 17". It doesn't have huge implications, but it would drive my OCD crazy.

12. Bluehinder macrumors member

13. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

I think I have the same problem with my 17" MBP 2011, that I just got, but it's not a deal breaker. I just finished customizing it to my liking and a slightly dimmed six key isn't going to make me return it at this point.

14. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

In a fairly dark room I lowered the screen brightness to black , then adjusted the keyboard brightness up and down , looking at the keyboard straight on, and mine looks pretty even to me on all settings.

Maybe I'm not being anal enough.

15. WileyB macrumors newbie

Here's what the brighter 5 key looks like

I also have a Feb 2011 MBP 17" with a significantly brighter "5" key. If you are wondering whether you have such a defect, you can view the attached image and compare it to your keyboard. This image was shot in the evening under low lighting conditions.

Attached Files:

16. Whitelightning macrumors regular

I can imagine a statistician who likes looking at things in percentages appreciate the % symbol lit up so brightly.

17. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Hey, that's what mine looks like!! Almost exactly!!! Look how much dimmer the other keys are!

I actually have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow evening for that and the pixel. Have to swap my SSD back out. I'll let folks know what they say. I don't want to give them a headache or anything....I mean it's not even the super bright 5 key that irks me, it's how dim the rest are compared to the 2010 Big Apple.

18. DaveClarkOne macrumors member

Same with my new 17" MBP. It's distracting, but I'm living with it.

19. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

My 5 key (percent symbol to be exact) is also super-bright on my 2011 17".

Anyone know how these keys work? Does each one individually pop off? Perhaps it's a keyboard "engraving" (or whatever they do) issue. A single key replacement may be all it takes to fix. A thin layer of clear tape on the back side of the key may even diffuse the light just enough.

I'm not sure that the 6 key is actually dim, or it just looks dim because it's parked next to the sun there.

20. cathy88 macrumors member

This also happen to mine, so I got a replacement. This is my 4th replacement and it has this problem too!!!!

Out of my 4 macbook 17" 2 didnt have this problem but had others
    2 have this problem, I cant be bothered returning it now, as long as it doesnt have other problems

21. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I noticed my 7 key is dimly lit when compared to other keys on the 15" 2011.
    Did anyone find a fix to these problems?

22. Mylesawayca macrumors newbie

Bright "5%" Key

I have had the same issue from the day I received my custom build 17" pro. It is the most annoying thing yet I can'y justify taking it for service for such a minor issue. It does however eat away at my soul everyday I use my MBP. I spent $4400 on it, you think they could get something as simple as this to work right every time. My year older 17" MBP did not have this issue and it was essentially the same thing.